"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 09-09-2004, 05:11 AM   #11
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDramaQueen
Seasoning a cast iron pan is one of the easiest things to do. You rub the pan inside and out with Crisco, lay it upside down in your oven and heat the pan at 350 for one hour. Bingo!!! Seasoned. You can't wash the pan with soap, just very hot water and a stiff brush. Nothing could be easier and eggs don't stick once the pan has been used about a dozen times.
Yes, that gets it started but after years of use, the interior of a frequently used cast iron pan is like teflon!

Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #12

Hey chiffonade... goood to see you.. bege was asking about you a couple days ago

Old 09-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I answered this in another similar thread. I think it was on this board. Might have been on FN's board.

When I fry eggs in stainless steel, the most immediate requirement is that the pan be absolutely clean. It must be polished smooth. If there are any mineral, food, or baked on oil deposits in the pan, the eggs will stick. So, clean the pan with a stainless steel cleaner such as Bar Keeper's Friend or my favorite, Cameo (I like this brand because it comes in a rust proof all plastic shaker).

Once you have a clean pan, heat it slowly. No higher than medium heat. When the pan is hot, add enough oil to generously coat the pan. Fry the eggs. If the eggs still stick, lower the heat even more for the next batch of eggs.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:44 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I use a non-stick for my eggs too. But I used to cook my scrambled eggs in a stainless pan by dropping one pat of butter in, then heating it until it turned
brown. Then I'd drop my eggs in and let it sit for a little bit, setting on the bottom. Then I'd cook til done. Most of the time I had no sticking at all and the pan could be cleaned with just one clean paper towel. My folks always wondered why I was the only one that could do that!

You might try polishing the pans too.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
Master Chef

I use non-stick Calaphon skillets all the time. Life is to short to spend scrubbing pots and pans.
In a former life, my ex-MIL gave me a well-seasoned cast iron skillet that I used to make eggs for her baby boy. I fried bacon in it too...still didn't stick. All I did was wipe it out after use. I left it there when I left him, but I don't know why. He didn't even know how to turn on the stove.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Short answer: Don't. Use non-stick as forementioned by many.

Long answer: Already been given, so I won't bother!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:50 AM   #17
Master Chef

Big Dog, I assume you are referring to health risks caused by the teflon. I've been using it for 40 years, and so far, so good. If it kills me in the next 20 years, well...we've all gotta go sometime. As a smoker, I'm already a risk-taker.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Head Chef

you can walk across the road and get hit by a mac truck too. lol. We also have a nonstick pan for eggs, saves alot of grief.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #19
DC Grandma

Seasoning a cast iron pan is one of the easiest things to do. You rub the pan inside and out with Crisco, lay it upside down in your oven and heat the pan at 350 for one hour. Bingo!!! Seasoned. You can't wash the pan with soap, just very hot water and a stiff brush. Nothing could be easier and eggs don't stick once the pan has been used about a dozen times.
My SIL just gave me two cast iron pans..one is a 3 1/2 " and the other is an 8".. are you saying I should never use soap?? I remember my parents had them (wish I had them now) but I think we did use soap..
I have a dutch oven I never use because the lid always rusted when the droplets od water formed on the inside of the lid.
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

As was mentioned, stainless has to be very, very clean. I heat mine dry and then add oil or butter to it. I let the egg cook over a medium heat until the white is set. Rarely does the egg stick. I can usually use the wrist flip method in both of my stainless pans as the eggs just slide around on the cooking surface.

I love my cast-iron. It is as slippery as the best teflon. But it doesn't lend itself to wrist-fliping anything. It's too heavy for that and the sides rise at too sharp of an angle from the flat bottom, where my stainless has sides that rise in a gentel crurve from the bottom.

To season the cast-iron, I don't want to wait for 12 uses before they work properly. So I accelerate the process. I brush with oil and throw on a very hot charcoal grill and let bake until it quits smoking. I then rub in more oil while the pan is still hot and bake again. After about three to four coats, she's ready for cooking.

I have used this method both in the oven and on the stove top. In the oven, I bake it at 450 and on the stove top, I use the highest heat setting on my gas stove. But when doing this in the house, I have to be alone as the windows all have to be wide open, with a fan assisting air transfer out of the house. The pans generate considerable smoke. I also have to cover the smoke alarms. But then, I can be an extreme kind of guy when I want to accomplish something. I recomend you use the outdoor method, or use the 350 degree oven method and twelve or so cooking sesions before expecting you cast iron to work well.

Alternately, use the 350 degree oven method, and then deep fry something in the pan. This will quickly season it as well. And I agree that you don't use soap to wash cast iron. Just hot water and a stiff brush will clean it up with minimum fuss and effort. And never put it in the dishwasher!

seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote