How do you cook eggs with a stainless steel pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
Big Dog, I assume you are referring to health risks caused by the teflon. I've been using it for 40 years, and so far, so good. If it kills me in the next 20 years, well...we've all gotta go sometime. As a smoker, I'm already a risk-taker.

No no, I am for non stick to a certain extent. Regarding eggs, I'm all for non-stick pan usage. Frankly I use other non-stick pans as well, but it drives me nuts having limited tools available to use without destroying them. I do plan on getting a SS set iof cookware, but eggs will remain done on non-stick cookware.

Big Dog, that can be a problem at first. But nowadays, one kind find very nice black silicone cookware at discount stores. There are also cheap white silicone cooking spoons, just like wooden ones, but much more sanitary...and silicone flexible spatulas (you know...the old "rubber spatulas") that can go into a hot pan.
You could probably go to Walmart and get everything you need for around thirty bucks.

I have had some experience with stainless steel cookware...I have some of my mom's old Reverware, with the copper bottoms. They stick something awful.
So did my Le Creuset, so I gave it to our grown son, who needed pots and pans, and he was grateful to get them.

On the other hand, I will never get rid of my extensive collection of cast iron. Even though it's too heavy for me to use, it's wonderful to have. I used to do a lot of camping, sometimes in a very primitive style. I could have made you bacon, eggs, hash browns, bisquits and gravy over a good fire. I even did brownies once...they were edible, but nothing to brag about. :ermm:

I still wish I'd taken that 10" seasoned skillet with me. :(

Last edited:
Constance said:
On the other hand, I will never get rid of my extensive collection of cast iron. Even though it's too heavy for me to use, it's wonderful to have. I used to do a lot of camping, sometimes in a very primitive style. I could have made you bacon, eggs, hash browns, bisquits and gravy over a good fire. I even did brownies once...they were edible, but nothing to brag about. :ermm:

I still wish I'd taken that 10" seasoned skillet with me. :(

Reminds me of a story Dad tells. He and Mom were camping, and from their camp site they saw a bear starting to go into someone's RV trailer. Dad knew the lady was in there and he was ready to go over and help however he could. Next thing he knew he heard a scream, then a "roar" (or whatever you call the noises a bear makes) then a dull gong. He sees the bear start backing out of the RV and then staggers off into the woods. The lady had whalloped the bear with the casst iron pan she had in the RV! She must have been swinging for the fences for sure, as those things are heavy and also she hit the bear with enough force to cause it to radically change his behavior! :ohmy:

We use a cast iron skillet for just about anything that you can fry [including fried eggs.]

Grace

Constance said:
LOL Big Dog! That was a mighty fiesty lady!
I know someone who whomped her husband in the head with one, but he deserved it. :wacko:

Beware gentlemen; Clobered with cast-iron. Kind of makes you think, doesn't it.:LOL:

I know that I have too much cast-iron around my house to misbehave.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I know that I have too much cast-iron around my house to misbehave.:ROFLMAO:
That should be painted on a plaque or done in needlework and hung on the kitchen wall!

:) Barbara

Back to the original question; I made a frittata in my 9-inch stainless steel pan yesterday. I brought the pan up to medium heat and turned off the fire. I sprayed the pan lightly with cooking spray and returned to medium heat. I immediately poured the egg/milk mixture, and other ingredients into the pan, and let cook over medium low heat until the egg was partially set. I easily slid the egg onto a plate and flipped it back into the pan to complete the frittata. I then flipped it back onto the plate. At no time did the egg stick. I believe that this was because I didn't oil the pan until it was already hot, and I cooked over a relatively low temperature.

Use your stainless pan to make basted eggs, or fried eggs using minimal fat and a low temperature. It will make great scrambled eggs as well, either dry or moist as you prefer. It will give good service with frittatas and omelettes. You just have too cook them more slowly.

If you want eggs with a crispy edge, use well seasoned cast-iron. If you want to brown, or caramelize foods, use cast iron, or enamled cast-iron. Although, browning meats in stainless will give you lots of "brown bits" that will flavor sauces and gravies.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Im a bit nervous about non stick but it works soo good .I think a non stick pan is nice for eggs and pancakes.
Also to minimize the risk of whatever, with these pans is what Ive said all along.Absolutley do not use metal utensils on theses pans they scratch and chip then lining which in turn can get into your food.Wood utensils are good but the silicone are best to maintain a scratch free surface.I think a little care in storing pans is also good as to not scratch pans.

I never fry, scramble, fritatta, or omlette without a nonstick skillet. BTW, I bought a few of those little egg poacher "spoons" (a slotted egg shaped bowl with a long handle) from W-S and used them for the first time. Hubby has more of a tendency to want kitchen gadgetry than I. But I have to say, this made egg poaching quite easy and fun. I don't know if this is something we really need to make room for in our kitchen, but what the heck. But as far as I'm concerned, for any egg-meets-skillet preparation it is nonstick all the way.

Back
Top Bottom