"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 09-05-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do you cook eggs with a stainless steel pan?

I have an 8" SS All-Clad pan and people say to heat it up and then put the oil in then the egg. However SOMETIMES it won't stick but more times than not it STICKS! Please help!

Old 09-05-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
We have ONE non-stick pan that we use solely for eggs and hence its name: The Egg Pan.

Without inordinate amounts of fat to lube things up, I have not had much luck cooking eggs in a SS pan.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Chiffonade is right. SS needs obscene amounts of fat to release eggs.

Not being a huge fan of non stick pans, I have found other materials that work well with eggs, though. Ceramic coated iron works great as does well seasoned cast iron.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade
We have ONE non-stick pan that we use solely for eggs and hence its name: The Egg Pan.

Without inordinate amounts of fat to lube things up, I have not had much luck cooking eggs in a SS pan.
My mom had what we called the egg pan too. Hers was a cast iron pan. We didn't dare touch that pan for anything other than eggs!

:) Barbara
Old 09-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #5
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:

My mom had what we called the egg pan too. Hers was a cast iron pan. We didn't dare touch that pan for anything other than eggs!

Your mother probably worked very hard to season that pan just right. It was probably ten bucks pre-seasoned but in my opinion, it's got to be worth $10K now! I'm always scouting yard sales for old cast iron. I used to find a lot of it in Colorado but no one seems to use it here in FL. Maybe it's because plastic rusts here :roll: .
Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Sous Chef

For eggs, omelets, pancakes and creamy sauces, it's just a whole lot easier with non-stick than ss.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

The only way I have found to do it is to use a lower (somewhere between low to medium) heat, swirl the oil around to make sure the bottom of the pan is completely coated before adding the eggs, and don't let the eggs sit in one spot for more than about 10-15 seconds. It's not foolproof, but I had less problems that way.

I must admit that I , too, have a non-stick pan for eggs - it's just so much easier and requires less oil.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade
Quote:

Your mother probably worked very hard to season that pan just right. It was probably ten bucks pre-seasoned but in my opinion, it's got to be worth $10K now! I'm always scouting yard sales for old cast iron. I used to find a lot of it in Colorado but no one seems to use it here in FL. Maybe it's because plastic rusts here :roll: .
Seasoning a cast iron pan is one of the easiest things to do. You rub the pan inside and out with Crisco, lay it upside down in your oven and heat the pan at 350 for one hour. Bingo!!! Seasoned. You can't wash the pan with soap, just very hot water and a stiff brush. Nothing could be easier and eggs don't stick once the pan has been used about a dozen times.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Re: How in God's name do you cook eggs with a SS pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
...SOMETIMES it won't stick but more times than not it STICKS! Please help!
Funny! I was just thinking about my SS skillet that is soaking in the sink right at this very moment due to freak incident with some turkey sausage. So very true. SOMETIMES it sticks, some times it doesn't. WHY is that? LOL!
Old 09-09-2004, 01:00 AM   #10
Master Chef

Simple cupcake - turkey sausage doesn't have enough fat to cook in a stainless steel pan without adding extra oil - even if you cook it at VERY low temp you have to add some oil. The only "no-oil" alternatives would be to poach it, bake it, or broil it.