"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Cook

How do you measure a bowl?

What is the proper way to measure a bowl to see what size it is/how much it holds?

I need to replace a plastic bowl that I use when taking food to family gatherings. I need to make sure that the new bowl can hold the same or a little more than the old bowl.

I filled the bowl with water to the very top and I got 12 cups of water in it. When I went to the store there were a few bowls that were labled as 12 cup. None of them looked like they could hold 12 cups of anything, they looked more like 6 cups. Maybe it's because they were all rectangular shape and the one I have is actually a bowl.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
DC Grandma

look for a 3 quart bowl?

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Measure the circumference of your old bowl and it's depth and go for something similar. Rectangular is more a container than a bowl?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
looks can be Very deceptive too, in the Lab I have 1 litre sherical flasks and 1 litre gas jars, you`d put a weeks wages on the idea that you could pour in 2 spherical flasks into 1 gas jar (and still have some room left).
but you can`t :)

I have no idea how it works either, but I suspect it`s some sort of optical illusion.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Cook

[I filled the bowl with water to the very top and I got 12 cups of water in it. When I went to the store there were a few bowls that were labled as 12 cup. None of them looked like they could hold 12 cups of anything, they looked more like 6 cups. Maybe it's because they were all rectangular shape and the one I have is actually a bowl.[/quote]

It sounds as if you are looking at rectangular baking dishes which are indeed 3qt/12C containers. You don't need to be concerned with them since you are looking for a bowl that holds 3qt/12C--but they do hold that amount, and that is often used in recipes to denote the dish/pan that should be used to bake something.
YOu have measured yours correctly.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Cook

I just want to clarify something, in case there's some confusion.

The bowl I want to replace is an old Tupperware bowl with a lid (like this one but a bit bigger - http://www.kshs.org/cool/graphics/tupperlg.jpg ).

The only containers with lids that are sold at the local stores are square or rectangular plastic containers, like this one - http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...ct/7h77_sm.jpg

I have no problems with the square or rectangle ones, they just look much smaller despite being labled as 12 cups/3 quarts.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Question 1, what happened to the bowl you want to replace?

If it's Tupperware and you still have it, you could contact a Tupperware rep and get a replacement at no cost or for very little cost.

Question 2, how much time do you need before you have to have the bowl?

If you have some time, and are inclined to do so, you could find a replacement bowl at a yard/garage/tag/estate sale. I've gotten some of my best Tupperware pieces at these places. Plus, you may find another bowl that fits your requirements just as well.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Like csalt said, circumference and depth. Is there some reason your bowl has to be the exact size as the one you want to replace? Does it really matter if it is a bit bigger or smaller?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
Cook

I think you have to trust that the measurement they are giving is correct.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
Head Chef

Your style bowl is pictured here: Tupperware