"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Geez, calm down, Barbarian Our method works fine for the millions of cooks who use it. No one suggested you do anything differently.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Geez, calm down, Barbarian Our method works fine for the millions of cooks who use it. No one suggested you do anything differently.
Thank you.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Why do we Americans continue to use cups and spoonfuls? Very simple. It is what we learned at a young age, what our mothers used and taught us. Americans are great at mucking about. It makes for a great pastime.
I've been baking for going on 50 years. If I can manage the changeover, surely the younger generation shouldn't quail! LOL!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm also in the process of converting my cup based recipes to grams. Whenever I am making something and I'm not in a hurry, I measure in cups and then weigh the ingredient and take notes. Weighing is so much easier.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I am actually not sure what you think you are reacting to, but maybe you just haven't had your morning cup of joe yet. Or maybe you did ... could go either way there, LOL!

At any rate I'm not un-calm so ... no need to worry about it, tyvm.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you.
?????
Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
I've been baking for going on 50 years. If I can manage the changeover, surely the younger generation shouldn't quail! LOL!
I am gong to end this conversation before I forget to be the lady my raised me to be.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
That's a horrible idea... I cannot understand ... CLEARLY better ... Don't do it! ... I have neither the time nor the inclination to muck about ... What a mess!
I was halfway teasing, hence the wink, and amused by the emphatic tone combined with your user name.

Happy baking, all!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
Yeah but cups come in all types of sizes how do I know what size cup to measure with and how do I know how much a quarter cup is... :S
I assume you are British or similar, rather than American. It' s a lot easier to convert American recipes from cups to ounces rather than cups to grammes (because, of course, America has had more sense than to go metric so their cups still measure in ounces).

You don't use just any old cup out of your china cupboard. Special measuring cups come in sets of cup, half cup, quarter cup and in some cases a third of a cup and to measure larger amounts of liquid you can buy Pyrex-type jugs marked off in cups, ounces and grammes. If buying standard measuring cups and spoons in Britain you'll find they don't hold exactly the same as American ones which can cause problems when baking but isn't as crucial with other sorts of dishes. You can, however, get hold of American measuring cups on Ebay (sorry, can't remember the company's name).

Actually, when you get down to it, American recipes using cups aren't that difficult. Remember not to pack flour but do pack soft brown sugar lightly. And if you're British remember that the American pint is 16 ounces not 20 ounces like our "Imperial" pint. "Sticks" of butter weigh 4 ounces.

I'm sure if I've got any of the above wrong I expect someone can correct me.

What really gets me is the flour issue - "all purpose flour" isn't quite our "strong" bread flour but isn't like our "plain" flour either and the situation is further complicated by our "self-raising" flour which doesn't seem to have an equivalent in the US and the vast (by British standards) amounts of raising agents that need to go into American cake mixes, presumably because of the amount of gluten in the flour.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

TL, we do have self rising flour.
Presto Self Rising Cake Flour 2 Lb. - Reily Foods Company
It is called cake flour. There is another company also that makes it. It is a soft red winter wheat flour. Down south they sell a brand called Lily flour. White LilyŽ - A Note To Our Consumers - Flour Mill FAQs
It is a very light flour unlike our regular flour like King Arthur's. Our regular flour is a hard winter wheat flour and heavier than the soft red winter wheat.

We can get the soft cake flour with or without the self rising component added. Just thought you would like to know.

The cake flour makes heavenly biscuits.