"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How many inches is considered to be a large skillet?

I often see recipes that say to make them in a large skillet, but the largest skillet I have is 10 inches and I sometimes don't think it is big enough so i end up not trying the recipe. When a recipe calls for a large skillet , how big do they mean? Do they mean something that is like 14 inches? How big is your biggest skillet and where did you find it? I have been looking for a bigger skillet at walmart and i don't think they have anything bigger than 10 in.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I use my 3.5 quart sauté pans more than anything else. I like how the straight sides contain everything inside. I only use a skillet for recipes of 2 cups or less.

I have two sauté pans. One is 11 inches wide and the other is 10 inches and a little deeper. I love these pans.

I bought my 3.5 quart, 11 inch All-Clad sauté pan when I received some money for a freelance job and my birthday. Several years later, my husband bought me a set of Calphalon pans for Christmas that included another sauté pan - it's deeper than the All-Clad. They both have their uses.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have several 12-inch skillets. One of which is made of cast iron.

I don't think I've ever seen a 14-inch one but they may be available from restaurant supply sellers.

My 12-inch ones seem to be large enough for any recipe I've come across and I've been cooking for nearly 60 years.

Edited to add: I just did a little Internet sleuthing and there are a number of 14-inch skillets available. However, I would imagine that something that large, filled with food, would be a bit difficult to manage.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have 8", 10", 12" and 14" skillets. For a recipe calling for large I would use the 12" or 14".
Old 02-15-2016, 02:21 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemeatloaf View Post
I often see recipes that say to make them in a large skillet, but the largest skillet I have is 10 inches...
Do you have a gas or electric stove? If you're cooking with electric, you probably shouldn't use a pan much bigger than the size of your burner. If your burner measures 10", a 12" pan is probably the maximum since you don't want more than an inch of overlap beyond the outer edge of the burner for efficient cooking.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When I have lots of ingredients that I don't think will fit easily in my skillet, I substitute my large cooking pot instead.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm sure they are talking about 12 inch. Who even has 14 inch pan? Ok, I do, but that is not a common size by any stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, Charlie
Old 02-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'm very happy with this, and use it often.....

Circulon® Momentum 12" Deep Skillet with Lid - JCPenney

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm sure they are talking about 12 inch. Who even has 14 inch pan? Ok, I do, but that is not a common size by any stretch.
Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
I've got you beat - I have a 16" Calphalon

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Comm...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It's not really a saute pan, as it's thinner than regular Calphalon pans. I've successfully used it on a 4" gas burner. It works for things that are lightly sauteed and then left to simmer for a while, or get finished in the oven (like my paella). It doesn't heat the periphery as much as the center, but for some dishes it works fine. I don't think Calphalon makes it any more.