How Many Small Kitchen Appliances Do You Own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Many Small Kitchen Appliances Do You Own?

• 1-3

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 3-5

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 5-7

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters
I don't see why the source of the appliance's power is part of the definition. If you have an electric pasta maker it's an appliance but if it's a hand crank model, it isn't? Makes no sense.

Well, we have a hand crank pasta macine too, which certainly makes it easier to make pasta noodles, ravioli and lasagna sheets, so....

And then there are mandolins, handheld and countertop. Where do we draw the line?

French presses, espresso stove tops? We have both of those too.

Last edited:
I think a small kitchen appliance is a modern labor-saving device that is powered by something other than a human being. I wouldn't call a potato peeler or a rolling pin an appliance.

As per Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_appliance

"Home appliances are electrical/mechanical machines which accomplish some household functions,[1] such as cooking, cleaning, or food preservation."

... granted, they're not talking about "small appliances", so you interpret as you see fit.
Nothing's being said here about the 'means of power', ie gas, LP, battery, etc.
IMHO, even as a manually powered appliance, it's still a "small appliance", I mean that's all they had back in the day, right?
*shrug*

Last edited:
It's a 3 part coffee maker that you heat on the stove. There is a top part, which is where the coffee ends up, that screws onto a bottom part, which is what you fill up with water, with a sort of stemmed basket with tiny little holes that fits inside the bottom part, which is what you put the ground coffee in.

Thank You - I will sleep wiser tonight.

I think a small kitchen appliance is a modern labor-saving device that is powered by something other than a human being. I wouldn't call a potato peeler or a rolling pin an appliance.
Here's an excerpt from a Wikipedia article:

"A few gasoline and gas-powered appliances exist for use in situations where electricity is not expected to be available, but these are typically larger and not as portable as most small appliances. Items that perform the same function as small appliances but are hand powered are generally referred to as tools or gadgets, for example a hand cranked egg beater, a grater, a mandoline, or a hand-powered meat grinder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_appliance

I think if the title of the thread was named "Small Electric Appliances" it would have solved the issue.

Argh... I've tried 3 times to post a comment and each time I hit submit my power goes down.

Been flashing up and down faster than the proverbial toilet seat in a co-ed dorm!

On the counter - toaster, toaster oven, coffee pot, blender, and mini food chopper
on cart in my pantry that I can wheel out when needed , lg food processor, kitchen aid mixer,
On shelf in pantry ; waffle maker, bullet blender, hand mixer, pasta machine, lg and small crockpot, bread machine, food dehydrator, Food saver vacuum sealer, ice cream maker and a deep fryer. electric knife. Oh and a microwave.
Wow!! You don't realize how much you got till you get looking at it.

Last edited:
I now have a vacuum sealer, they were on clearance and I got it for half price with a stack of 100 - quart bags.

I don't remember seeing this post, but it might have been here while I was ignoring DC for a few months.

This is what we have:

1. somewhat broken stand mixer, still works as a hand held mixer
  2. immersion blender with add-ons
  3. meat grinder / vegetable slicer, grater, shredder
  4. toaster
  5. toaster oven
  6. knife sharpener (I really have to read the instructions and try it out.)
  7. hot air corn popper
  8. ice cream maker
  9. drip coffee maker
  10. espresso machine
  11. food processor
  12. Magic Bullet
  13. Whirly blade coffee grinder and a to-be-repaired, burr coffee grinder

I have a few, many of which are on the counter, except the small ones.

A couple on a shelf, under a fish tank in the dining room:
Meat Grinder
Nutrimill

One on the shelf over the oven - the toaster oven.

One hanging in the window area, behind the sink - the Immersion Blender

On the counters in the kitchen:
Scale
Kitchen Aid 6 qt
Vitamix
Food Processor
6 qt Instant Pot
44 yr old Farberware convection oven
Foodsaver (I made a simple rack that this slides out from under, so other things can be stored there)

A few (that I thought of) in the basement:
Waffle Maker
Ice cream maker
Hot Air Popper (wouldn't have remembered this, if I didn't see it listed above)
(there's a coffee maker somewhere down there, but no telling where, since I don't use it often!)

And several small grinders, and a hand held mixer, in some cupboards.

Back
Top Bottom