How to clean up dirt like this (on cutting board)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bleach ? would it impose any harmful residue to the board?
No. Diluted bleach (1 capful in 1 gallon of water) is commonly used to clean prep tables, etc., in restaurants. It's a good disinfectant, but not a great cleaning agent.

Mix one tablespoon of baking soda, one tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of water to form a paste. Scrub well with the paste, then rinse thoroughly with hot water and dry.

Kenny, what sort of material is that board made of anywhos?

I agree with the gals, bleach and/or go buy a new board.
I get mine most times at Walmart for under $10, once they
start lookin' like that poor thing, out it goes.
I keep boards separate too, veg/fruit on one (usually bamboo)
and meats on another (normally white plastic)
and never the two twains meet (is that how it goes :stuart:)

What are the black marks from?

I use plastic cutting boards. I wash them in the DW with a sanitize cycle. Any stains not removed I bleach off. In the kitchen sink, cover the board with paper towel, soak the paper towel with a splash of bleach and leave it. After an hour or so, the board should be pristine white. Rinse thoroughly and you're ready to go. Don't worry about the bleach, it breaks down and rinses off.

Any stains from charcoal or charred foods will not bleach out.

Kenny, what sort of material is that board made of anywhos?

I agree with the gals, bleach and/or go buy a new board.
I get mine most times at Walmart for under $10, once they
start lookin' like that poor thing, out it goes.
I keep boards separate too, veg/fruit on one (usually bamboo)
and meats on another (normally white plastic)
and never the two twains meet (is that how it goes :stuart:)

It looks like polypropylene.

I use a wooden board for meats because it's nice and heavy, and because it absorbs pathogens into it, dehydrating them and killing them. Once the plastic ones get cut marks from knife use, it's harder to clean the pathogens out.

Hi all

Actually did I use the board with wrong knife? I never cared about that, but the board was only bought last year and I don't use it so often (on average once every day)

Is it too fast to retire it?

Hello

I don't know what it's made of. OK I can buy a new one but which material if board should I pick?

Hi all

Actually did I use the board with wrong knife? I never cared about that, but the board was only bought last year and I don't use it so often (on average once every day)

Is it too fast to retire it?

The cut marks look bad because they're highlighted in black on a white surface.

Don't be too quick to trash it. What is the black from?

By the way, I get plastic cutting boards at IKEA in three packs for less than five bucks. I have about a dozen cutting boards in two sizes. That way, I can cut meats, and toss the board into the dishwasher and grab a clean one to cut veg.

CD

What are the black marks from?

I use plastic cutting boards. I wash them in the DW with a sanitize cycle. Any stains not removed I bleach off. In the kitchen sink, cover the board with paper towel, soak the paper towel with a splash of bleach and leave it. After an hour or so, the board should be pristine white. Rinse thoroughly and you're ready to go. Don't worry about the bleach, it breaks down and rinses off.

Any stains from charcoal or charred foods will not bleach out.

"I wash them in the DW with a sanitize cycle"

What does this sentence mean? sorry

I have had some white plastic cutting boards develop grey/black stains, and have no idea why. They don't come out, either. It seems like the stain is embedded in the plastic.

CD

I can't remember what it was from, but should be from food. I don't use this board on doing anything otherwise than preparing food

I remember that it wasn't that black, and then I use another side, after some months, it gets blacker and blacker

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom