How to measure an ounce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I vote that the US should adopt the metric system and then we wouldn't have all this tom-foolery.

How many stone do you weigh?

Since a gallon(US) of water (128 Fluid oz.) weighs about 8 pounds (within 4%, close enough for government work, or humping a 6 gallon case - ~ 50 lbs of bottled water) an ounce of water weighs roughly 1 oz.(US)
Close enough. But it's not the weight (avoirdupois) ounces that are different; it's the fluid ounces that vary between US and Imperial. An Imperial fluid ounce weighs 1 ounce avoirdupois to several decimal places.

Tough to do when one enjoys a wide variety of foods and has a spouse that thinks 4 ounces of dry pasta is a starvation ration. I've cut way back from my years-ago 7 ounces and it's looking like I'll have to cut all the way back to 2 ounces before achieving any weight loss.

SO and I share 6.6 ounces (half a package).

Andy M. said:
SO and I share 6.6 ounces (half a package).

That's how we rock too.

I should mention that makes enough for leftovers for us the next day.

Last edited:
I must be odd man out. I standardized my pasta serving at 2 oz. (dry weight) years ago. It's enough to satisfy me and there are never any leftovers to bother with. (And I've kept my weight under 10 stone too.)

I would cook more than that per person if I were having guests. Same concept as restaurants, don't want to send people away hungry.

Back
Top Bottom