"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Senior Cook

How to take care of the inner bowl of the rice cooker?

I haven't bought a new rice cooker for over 20 years and
recently the one I am using has the inner bowl broken

See Picture 1. Is it safe to keep using it? I don't mind having it
replaced but usually the inner bowl is not sold alone anywhere.
(If you look closely, there are already some black spots due to
scratches over time)

See Picture 2 (Inner bowl in black color). How to take care of
bowl like this? What is the special material of spatula I should use
or avoid using?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	36303   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	36304  

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't see a broken bowl in picture #1. I see a bowl with a few scratches on the bottom. What material is the old bowl an is there a coating on the inside?

Old 08-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I don't see a "break", either. Does water leak out of it? That's the only reason I wouldn't use it. As for how to take care of it, don't us metal utensils in it, and make sure others know this. That's probably what caused the scratches.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Use the traditional wood or plastic rice paddle. New rice cookers usually come with plastic paddles.

You will not get sick by eating rice cooked in scratched or gouged rice cooker bowl.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't see a broken bowl in picture #1. I see a bowl with a few scratches on the bottom. What material is the old bowl an is there a coating on the inside?
I am not able to take a focused picture of the bottom of the bowl with a mobile phone, but it's quite well scratched at the bottom and quite some many "black spot"

I really do not know what material the old bowl is, hard to imagine, but quite light in weight, and the silver surface should be a coating layer
Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Sous Chef

The bowls are almost always made of aluminum, and coated with a NS teflon. Fortunately, even when scratched, the coating doesn't start peeling off in sheets, like in the old days. And you don't have to worry about that, anyway - the problem with teflon is when it is exposed to a very high temp, and it vaporizes. You don't have to worry about that in a rice cooker.

With all those scratches you decribe, metal kitchen tools have definitely been used a lot! Or some metal cleaning tool. I had a rice cooker with a similar looking insert, for about 20 years, before I got my IP, and there was not a scratch in it - all because a metal implement never touched it. As noted previously, just keep using it, with plastic or wooden tools. Same for any other NS pans you have - don't believe those things about being "scratch proof", as even the newer ceramic NS kitchenware will scratch, with metal.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Head Chef

Our rice cooker is on almost everyday. We only use the plastic spatula that comes with them.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I want to get a new rice cooker, but it's so difficult to find anything made of stainless steel nowadays, they all use coating or non-stick materials that I feel very uncomfortable...
Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
I want to get a new rice cooker, but it's so difficult to find anything made of stainless steel nowadays, they all use coating or non-stick materials that I feel very uncomfortable...
There is no reason to feel uncomfortable with non-stick coatings. The material is inert and in the rare event some of it flakes off into your rice, it will pass through with no effect on you whatsoever.

What's confusing is that there are dangers in the manufacturing process that don't carry over into the finished product.

As suggested earlier, use wood or plastic utensils to prevent any scratching.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
You may want to look into an Instant Pot, which I replaced my rice cooker with several years ago, and they have SS inserts. The 6 qt works well in "rice" mode, for just 1 c of rice, which surprised me, though I rarely cook just 1 c. If this is too large for you, they have a smaller one, too, which my sister got for her kitchen, though this is too small for many of the other things I use it for.

Tags
cook, how to, rice