I hate thermometers, they are liars and backstabbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P.A.G., I hear ya.

I only have one thermometer I trust. I have had the kind you leave in the food in the oven, instant read, digital, and analog. I had an oven thermometer, for measuring the heat of the oven, that caused me to burn food until I quit trusting it.

The one thermometer I trust is a candy/deep fry thermometer. It came with instructions on how to test and calibrate it. There is a nut that can be twisted. It read 0°C when left in ice water and 100°C when in boiling water, straight from the store. I wish I hadn't thrown away that piece of cardboard, because it doesn't say a brand name anywhere on the thermometer. It's dishwasher safe! It reads the temperature of meat faster than the instant read thermometers I have owned. Food comes out the way I expect it to for the temperature that thermometer tells me. I would buy more of them, if I just knew the brand name.
Don't know whether they are available where you are, but Brannan is a good make in the UK. They make lab thermometers, etc., as well as culinary thermometers.

Last edited:
Available currently is "Growing up Fisher" which is fairly entertaining. another was, oh what was the name of that show? It had Fred Savage as the main character.

I agree that most sitcoms over the years have been mindless. I did like "I Love Lucy" and "The Dick VanDyke Show".
the "Danny Thomas Show" wasn't bad either. I also enjoyed the "Bill Cosby Show", in its various incarnations. Yeh, I know, I'm showing my age.

I liked a few straight up comedy shows from that time period as well, like the Red Skelton Show, the Carol Burnett Show, to name a couple of standouts.

That's my favorite time period for TV, when the world seemed more innocent, and had family enriching standards.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Was it "The Wonder Years"?

Updated photo of my burn. Looks nasty but doesn't hurt anymore.

2014-08-14 11.18.11-1.jpg

I actually burned under my fingernail.

Last edited:
Updated photo of my burn. Looks nasty but doesn't hurt anymore.

View attachment 21681

I actually burned under my fingernail.

Ow! I'm glad that it's healing well, and doesn't hurt any more. I hope the natural skin color remains. i had a burn like that on my left ring finger. It left a scar, but is barely noticeable. Besides, your natural skin tone goes better with the emerald; at least, that's my opinion.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's great that it doesn't hurt anymore. :)

Burns are nasty things and I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Finger injuries really teach you how much you rely on your digits.

I just split my nail across the finger about halfway down. (Not cooking related) but it's almost made me one handed.

I just split my nail across the finger about halfway down. (Not cooking related) but it's almost made me one handed.

Owie owie owie I've split fingernails before and it does not feal good. Hope you recover quickly.

How in the world??? Ouch, Zagut!

What's challenging is heating up frying oil in the first place.

Cast Iron?

I may go to a cheapo electric if I only not to have to constantly turn up and down the range top controls while frying.

Last edited:
How in the world??? Ouch, Zagut!

My finger was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(
Sudden movement of heavy Ipe and "Ouch!" Then "#$%^&*&^%$$%!!!" plus a few choice words I made up. :LOL: ..........Go stop the bleeding all over the work. Wrap it up and get back to it.

Been soaking it in peroxide and I think I might even be able to keep the nail. :mrgreen:

Caslon, Cast Iron is great material for retaining a constant heat level. But you've got to get it up to temp for awhile for it to stabilize.

Sudden movement of heavy Ipe and "Ouch!" Then "#$%^&*&^%$$%!!!" plus a few choice words I made up. :LOL: ..........Go stop the bleeding all over the work. Wrap it up and get back to it.

Been soaking it in peroxide and I think I might even be able to keep the nail. :mrgreen:

Caslon, Cast Iron is great material for retaining a constant heat level. But you've got to get it up to temp for awhile for it to stabilize.

You silly person. Losing a whole nail can be painful also. You have to keep the bed covered and pray real hard that you don't bump it. You will make up a whole new dance if you do. A couple of years ago I had a very bad flare up of the psoriasis and it happened under three of my fingernails. The fingernails fell off and left me with the bed exposed. PAIN you didn't know could existed when you bump it. Then when the nail started to grow back, it did so in layers. So today I keep them cut down to the quick so they can't get caught on anything and ripped off. I used to have nice long nails. The kind you see in commercials for nail polish. :angel:

I've split a finger nail from tip to quick, the pain was horrendous. Lost a toenail when I dropped a rolling pin and it hit my toe handle first. I am now missing that toenail permanently as it refused to grow back correctly and had it surgically removed.

Odd how such a small thing as a finger or toenail can be so painful when messed with.

I've split a finger nail from tip to quick, the pain was horrendous. Lost a toenail when I dropped a rolling pin and it hit my toe handle first. I am now missing that toenail permanently as it refused to grow back correctly and had it surgically removed.

Odd how such a small thing as a finger or toenail can be so painful when messed with.

Lost one fingernail twice as a teenager. the first time was when getting home from the movies with a friend. When I shut the car door, I got the tip of that finger caught in the door. It ripped the nail off. At the time, it hurt, but nothing I couldn't handle. It bled profusely. My buddy's mom wrapped it in a bandaid, and I was good to go. However, lying in bed, the finger swelled, smelled horrible, and throbbed until it brought silent tears. Teenage boys don't cry, you know. It took a good week to heal, and then the naill grew back perfectly. I do have a scar on that finger thought.

The 2nd time, on the same finger, I was helping a cousin cut wood with a chainsaw. He was operating the saw. I was applying pressure to the end of the log to keep the chain from binding. When he got all the way through, my end dropped, pinching the end of that same finger between the log end I was pushing on, and another log end right next to it. Yep, lost the fingernail again. Yep, blood, swelling, throbbing pain with ever heartbeat. Again, the nail came back perfectly.

I don't recommend losing a fingernail do to crushing the end of a finger. It hurts like crazy. Learn from my mistakes and don't repeat them. You'll make enough other ones of your own. Like P.S.G.'s burned finger :ohmy:.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Cast Iron?

I may go to a cheapo electric if I only not to have to constantly turn up and down the range top controls while frying.

We use a Fry Daddy for everyday small amounts of food, but use a deep AL fry pan for frying chicken and larger items.
I start the heat on high, then lower to just above medium and never have to readjust the heat again.
I have electric burners.

Cast Iron?

If you have enough oil, you only need to wait a couple of minutes for the oil to get back up to temperature after adding food. Just don't add too much at once and you shouldn't have to adjust the burners. I don't fry much, but when I do, I use a stainless steel Dutch oven and have a gas stove.

A lot of folks have a problem adjusting to using electric after having gas for so many years. Eventually they learn, if the burner is too hot, remove the pan from the heat until the burner cools down some. I have had both. I prefer gas, but one doesn't always get what one wants. You have to take what you are given. One of the tricks I have learned is I turn the burner on before I even get the pan out. That way it is heating up to the temp I want. Saves me a lot of waiting time. While I am filling up the pot with water for pasta, the burner is heating up. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom