"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook

I hesitate to post this...

as it is pretty lame and a bit disgusting.

Now that I have your attention. Probably a year back I cooked a pork roast in my favorite slow cooker. When we were done, it got set in the pantry until I could dump the left overs and clean it. Well, it got covered, buried and forgotten. Today I wanted to do something slow cooked with blackberries and pork, only to realize it had been sitting buried for a long, long time.

Well, you know what happened. All sorts of nasty. Flies, now long dead, and lots of colorful goo.

Now that I braved, or my wife braved the muck, and got the crock clean, we have a problem with the metal ring around the lid. I hate those for just this reason.

So, if you can please not think I am a disgusting slob, is there any way we can salvage it. It is more of an experiment at this point. We cleaned it as best we could, then ran the crock pot a couple hours on high, which pulled more dead critters out of the ring.

Any hope, or should I just turn it into a antique hinge/paint stripper cooker.

If it helps, let's pretend this is all hypothetical. :^ )

Old 09-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd cook in it again.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'd cook in it again.
If you can't get every nook and cranny lean, don't use it.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

Hi, Vinylhanger. After a year, I wouldn't have had any qualms about just tossing it and replacing with a new one.

Something similar happened to my daughter sometime back - she cooked a couple of chicken breasts in her George Foreman, took the appliance out to the garage to let it cool off, and forgot about it for a month or so, maybe longer. She threw it out and replaced it.

Sorry that happened! I've done so many things in the kitchen that I just want to slap myself for.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
as it is pretty lame and a bit disgusting.

Now that I have your attention. Probably a year back I cooked a pork roast in my favorite slow cooker. When we were done, it got set in the pantry until I could dump the left overs and clean it. Well, it got covered, buried and forgotten. Today I wanted to do something slow cooked with blackberries and pork, only to realize it had been sitting buried for a long, long time.

Well, you know what happened. All sorts of nasty. Flies, now long dead, and lots of colorful goo.

Now that I braved, or my wife braved the muck, and got the crock clean, we have a problem with the metal ring around the lid. I hate those for just this reason.

So, if you can please not think I am a disgusting slob, is there any way we can salvage it. It is more of an experiment at this point. We cleaned it as best we could, then ran the crock pot a couple hours on high, which pulled more dead critters out of the ring.

Any hope, or should I just turn it into a antique hinge/paint stripper cooker.

If it helps, let's pretend this is all hypothetical. :^ )
Hypothetically, I might have been tempted to throw it out immediately on discovery, but after taking the trouble to clean it, I don't know why you'd give up on it now. Looking at my crock pot, that ring sits below and well inside the outer edge of the top of the removable crock so nothing that comes out of there would get into the food anyway but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get everything out, that's ever going to come out, while the pot was hot using a small brush (toothbrush?) and boiling water.
But if either of you is going to be put off eating from it, even irrationally, or it's going to disrupt peace in the family, then toss it. They don't cost that much.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I wouldn't count on a soiled lid being out of the way.

Put the lid in a large pot of boiling water and let the bubbling water soften and dislodge and remaining crud. Then soda it in a bleach and water solution to sanitize it further.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

You didn't smell it?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

What Andy said.

Or do the sell replacement lids, maybe?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
You didn't smell it?
That was actually one of the first questions in my previous post, too...but I deleted it. I figured if he did, he would have said so....
Old 09-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Evidently it is a piece of kitchen equipment you don't use that often, or you would have discovered it sitting there much sooner simply out of need. I would toss it. And then if I really needed it again, I would treat myself to a new one. They are not that expensive. At least less than a trip to the hospital. Why play around with the health of your family.