"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cian_12 View Post
I'm currently doing an assignment which requires me to separate eggs without getting any shell contamination, obviously, on an industrial scale in a new and innovative way. I've been thinking about different methods that I could use but currently don't have too many ideas. So far they consist of scientific methods which involve weakening the egg shell before cracking it and then using some sort of centrifuge or perhaps a sieve like device (like using one's hands) to separate the yolk and the white. I am also going to carry out physical testing to find out if this is successful.

I may be asking in completely the wrong place but thought I'd give this a shot as all of the chefs on this site are bound to have some good ideas.

If you can provide any help or suggestions on new ideas or even input on my current train of thought I'd be very grateful

Thanks
I went white at the thought of this until I realised that the yolk was on me, now I`m about to go back into my shell.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

Our daughter works in a factory that provides egg products to various companies. They actually send out tanker trucks full of egg whites, egg yolks, or sometimes a mix.
She works in the office, but knows how it all works. I'll ask her about it.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Head Chef

If you think about hand separating.. You need a cracking stage. A sharp blade coming across the bottom of the egg to remove it cleanly with an air nozzle to blow the piece of egg away. After the puff of air to blow away the shell, an angled set of rods, say 1/8" between them for the contents of the egg to drop down onto. The whites drip through as the egg slides down along the rods. The yolk drops into a yolk catch bowl at the end.

After that, you can run the whites through a sieve to be sure there are no shells. The yolks, if they have to remain whole can not be sieved. If they can be broken, then you could sieve the yolks too.