"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO on advice/info on knives

I hanged around a shopping mall last week and happened to find that there are many many many different brands and shapes of knife. And the price range was very large too.

In general what is the major difference between a cheaper knife and a more expensive one?

I need one for home and I know that different knives are designed for different purposes. What kind or shape of knife is the best for all purposes? I am not cooking as a professional and I don't often cook at home so we don't want to buy too many different knives which is bad for money, storage and maintenance.

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not into knives either so I have a cheap set that does the job for daily general food preparation.

I have something very similar to this set but I know I paid a lot less than that.
https://www.amazon.com/15-Piece-Kitc...s%2C209&sr=8-6

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

A couple of differences are the quality of the steel and the length of the blade. The knife will last longer if it's full tang, meaning the blade runs the entire length of the knife, into the handle, attached with rivets. And higher quality steel will maintain a sharp edge longer than cheap steel.

The most important quality, though, is that it's comfortable in your hand. I like a 7-inch Santoku knife, but my husband prefers a 9-inch chef's knife. I think it's also important to have a serrated bread knife and a 3-5-inch paring knife for smaller items. It's safer to use a smaller knife than to try to trim small items with a big chef's knife.

So go back to the mall and handle a few knives to see what's comfortable for you.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Sous Chef

You'll have to figure out what is best for you, as far as how you cook, and what you cook. Cheaper knives, as a rule, won't sharpen up as well, and the edge won't stay sharp for as long, though I can say from experience, some expensive knives don't do well in these categories, either! A chefs knife and some paring knives are a good start, but you have to think about what you will be doing. Would you need a bread knife? A boning knife is an essential to me, but would you be using it? This is why it's probably best to buy knives piece by piece, rather than sets - there are usually dust collectors, in things like that.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

I would experiment with a couple of inexpensive Dexter Russell knives and invest my money in a good knife sharpener.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/dex...l-chefs-knives

I have an 8" chefs knife, a 3.5"paring knife, and an 8" slicing knife that I bought years ago at Kmart. Those three knives are all I've ever needed to put a meal on the table.

My knife sharpener is a Chef's Choice that I bought in a thrift shop for $6.00.

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you don't cook often, I would consider this set sort of thing. We have some really nice Henckel knives, but we also have a set of these self-sharpening knives. It's actually a built in sharpener in the sheath.

Wiltshire Staysharp 3-Piece Knife Set
Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

The one knife I wouldn't want to do without is my Santoku knife as I use it for nearly everything. This is a very good review on them.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/08/...ku-knives.html

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this brand of knives: https://www.cutleryandmore.com/forschner_knives.htm

It's considered by many as the best quality/low cost option. They offer a wide range of sizes and shapes at reasonable prices.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The one knife I wouldn't want to do without is my Santoku knife as I use it for nearly everything. This is a very good review on them.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/08/...ku-knives.html

Aside from the set of cheap knives I have I also have a cheap Santoku knife that I picked up at Costco some years back. I think I paid under $10 for it. It is, by far, my most used knife.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

Another knife thread.

It's like asking "What is the best color?"

Knives really are very personal. Granted, a ten dollar "Made in Whoknoswhere" knife is not likely to last a long time. But, once you reach a decent level of quality, it comes down to what works for you.

My current chef's knife, which I use the most, is a Victoronox 8-incher that I paid about 40-bucks for. I love it. It works for me, and it feels good in my hand. It is lightweight. My previous chef's knife was considerably heavier (and more expensive). Some people like that, but a lightweight knife just feels better in my hand.

Now, I do have a heavy cleaver for when I need to go Neanderthal on something with bones, but for 95-percent of my knife use, I like my lightweight chef's knife.

Would I like to own a super expensive custom hand made just for me knife someday? Sure. I'd like to own a Ferrari someday, too.

CD

Tags
cheap, knife, knives