It had to happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to the original subject, I once found myself in the emergency room at Kanaohe when I cut off the tip of my finger and simply couldn't staunch the bleeding. The doctor was a woman, the medic a man. I overheard them.

Medic: Why do we always have these stupid women who cut their fingers on the weekends?

Doctor: When was the last time YOU fixed dinner on Saturday or Sunday?

Now things are much more equitable in the cooking arena, but at the time the good doctor had me in stitches.

Oh, finger tip, nail and all, grew back. Must have been a good, clean, cut.

My cousin shot me in the leg with an arrow, my best freind did the same thing to me, but in the middle of my back. Fortunately, the bows were only about 15 lb. pull and the arrows bounced off. My best freind did it by accident. My cousin was a bully.

I ran over that same freinds head with a plastic tobogan when he failed to move out of the way. But you have to understand, he was laying in the bottom of the gravel pit and I had called down to make sure he was ok. he said he was. The hill was so steep that once you started, there was no stopping until you got to the bottom. Even if you lost it, you'd roll the rest of the way. He knew I was comming and watched the whole time. I didn't understand why he didn't move out of the way, or why he was mad at me when I ran hime over. He chased me for a while, but I was the faster runner, especially when I thought he was going to do me bodily harm. He got over it and we remained best freinds.

I also caught a friend by the ear while casting. I didn't know it until he hollered "Stop pulling! You got my ear!" It was the first time I'd ever seen a peirced ear on a guy.

Have no fear though. For every one I got, someone got me as well. I believe the same is true for nearly every adventurous, or normal male who grew up in the forests, fields, and rivers of U.P. Michigan.

I could go on and on and on with similar stories. Got hit by a car while riding a motorcycle, fell out of trees and off or three-story roofs, did a back flip over a kid who darted out while I was roller-skating backwards (never touched the kid and did a perfect back fall, avoiding injury). I tore numerous jackets while jumping off of playground swings, much to my mother's dismay. And I used to jump off of a twenty-foot cliff and roll out of it in the sand below, because I enjoyed the sensation fo free-fall. And then there are the times skiing behind cars on hard soled shoes, on icey roads, and jumping from snowmobiles into snow drifts, etc., etc., etc.

Why I never died, or got injured... And people wonder why I believe in my Heavenly Father. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I mean, have you ever been thrown over someone's shoulder and landed on a hardwood floor because you were too close to the edge of the mat? I did end up with a cracked rib, once, while in Judo. But that's the extent of injuries in a very exciting life. And don't ever let anyone talk you into a ride on an aluminum, flying saucer sled, attached by a twenty foot rope to an eighty mph+ snowmobile on crusty snow. I think I was too afraid to fall off of that one. That would have been very bad. It was very fast, thrilling, and utterly foolhardy.

All of that makes cutting my thumb seem kind of boring somehow. ;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

OMG!

Too many "shared experiences" here to get into!

Likewise "umpteen" experiences with "live fire" fortunately "missing" (learn to "cut the buttons off the uniform" to get "closer to the ground"), and several "idiot" experiences, between "basic electricity", boats and motors, snow shoes, skis, fishing, hunting and cooking!

You are not alone, but its almost "disturbing" to consider the proximity of the "life anomalies" we appear to "share"....

Lifter

Lifter, I agree. From our cooking knowledge, to our life experiences, we are almost twins. There are a few differences, and we obviously have different genetics, and some religeous differences as we,. But our philoso phies and basic identities, had we lived near each other, would have made us best freinds I think. You didn't have a teen-age crush on Maureen Mullen now did you? You and I could have been brothers. ;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Audeo said:
Crewsk, I'm sure your aunt told you that we use a type of Super Glue in ER all the time. Sure glad you evaded the trip to ER that day, but it sounds like you would have needed to first lift up the floor to get there!

Ah yes! I already knew the joys of that wonderful stuff by then. When I was working at a day care, a boy in my class threw a rock through a thick glass door & the glass shattered over the head of the boy hoding the door open for the class to come inside. Well, a piece of the glass made about a 3 1/2 inch cut in the top of the boys head & when his parents took him to the ER, the glued the cut instead of stiching it. Needless to say I was beyond terrified that day, not only of of the childs parents, but of my boss!

I was able to just kinda peel my daughter off the floor.

Crewsk; My son who cooks professionally taught me the super-glue for a cut trick. It's a handy one. I still remember my first reaction when I read your opening post on this thread. And I'm still glad that no skin was lost. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks Goodweed! I'm glad no skin was lost also. Hubby brought some super glue home the other day & laied it on the counter & my son looked at me & said "Don't you need to put that up?" & he just pointed at Savannah & rolled his eyes. It was put well out of reach in about 5 seconds! :LOL:

On of my professors told this story of a little boy who cut his head on the playground and had to get stiches. Well... the doctor used the superglue instead of stiches and accidently glued the blue plastic forceps (locking tweezers) to the poor kids head. The kid had to go to school for a few days with plastic forceps glued to his head (luckily they were able to cut of the big loops, but not below the pivot. They didn't want to ends of the forceps to tear the wound open)

To borrow and paraphrase ....

Knives don't cut cooks! Cooks use knives to cut themselves.

Sorry .. somebody had to do it ... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom