Yes, this could be useful and fun.
I don't really care for a garlic press because I like to use my knife. I don't feel like I loose as much of the garlic this way.
Things I think a beginner kitchen should have (especially if they are interested in cooking):
- a wire whisk with a big handle (not one of those skinny handles)
- a rubber scraper that can withstand higher temperatures
- a scale for measuring weights (you can get one for around $10.00)
- a pair of restaurant tongs
- assortment of wooden utensils
- an assortment of different size bowls
- a set of small bowls to prepare ingredients (mis en place) before making
- a stainless or vinyl bar to hang frequently used utensils on
- the obvious, a few knives, measuring cups and spoons
- and since they've become popular, a couple nice stones, might as well start out getting them seasoned!! (I will not make any suggestions on brands here - this has caused full-scale riots on other boards)
I'll keep thinking and I'm sure more people will give suggestions.