Kitchen scale, do you get strange looks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pigskins

Cook
Last week Aldi was selling digital kitchen scales for $9.99. A few days before the sale went live I saw on a deals site that this would be the case. The sale started on a Wednesday, store opened at 9. I went in around 11 and all scales were gone. Someone I know works there, they called other stores in the area, all sold out. Wow, I thought!

Couple days later I saw my friend and she said turns out kitchen scales are very popular items when one runs a meth lab!! She commented that workers were saying that people were buying them up like crazy and most of those people looked, shall we say, um, seedy?

So the next time you buy a kitchen scale, now you know what the cashier is thinking! :LOL:

i'm shutting my blinds, & peeking through them often. i'm dredging & eluding~ lol, my Mom, they made her sign 4 sudafed!~
she was so insulted. my dear Mom , aw~

Last edited:
I'm not naive by any stretch of the imagination, but that use never occurred to me. Makes sense, though.

I've been using an electronic scale for too many years to count and would be lost without it. Sure makes it easier to prepare anything and keeps the clean-up to a minimum. That last part is a real "yeah!"

Oh, and I ordered my scale by catalogue so I didn't see any untoward looks.

I'm not naive by any stretch of the imagination, but that use never occurred to me. Makes sense, though.

I've been using an electronic scale for too many years to count and would be lost without it. Sure makes it easier to prepare anything and keeps the clean-up to a minimum. That last part is a real "yeah!"

Oh, and I ordered my scale by catalogue so I didn't see any untoward looks.

Same here, made sense once she told me. I could use a nice kitchen scale and it looked decent even for $10. I can continue to use my postage scale for now! :LOL:

In recent years my digital scale purchases were for use in the kitchen or to weigh bicycle components.
But back in the 70's I had a simple, cheap balance beam to weigh pot. Back in those days I would assume most store clerks knew what they were used for if you walked in the store as a young lad with long hair looking for a scale.

I use a digital kitchen scale often. Not for what you think.

Craft purposes mostly that need that an accurate weight. I must be naive. Using a scale for the druggies never occurred to me. No wonder I have to sign for for Actifed.

I'd be insulted if someone gave me that look. Probably say something like get your head out of the gutter.

Munky.

If you want to erase all doubt about your intentions when buying a scale, just ask the check-out clerk if he knows where you can get Sudafed in large quantities.

A nice titanium set is all you need...no need to weigh it...:)
Back in those days anything made out of titanium were very pricey. My very first piece of titanium was a bike frame I purchased in 1990. Today they're almost as cheap as good steel.
I have a titanium campset but I also like my non-stick aluminum set which is just as light, or even lighter than Ti.
Dang, now you got me into camping mode....:LOL:

Last edited:
Back in those days anything made out of titanium were very pricey. My very first piece of titanium was a bike frame I purchased in 1990. Today they're almost as cheap as good steel.
I have a titanium campset but I also like my non-stick aluminum set which is just as light, or even lighter than Ti.
Dang, now you got me into camping mode....:LOL:

Too cold outside!:ROFLMAO: I'm looking at a pair of titanium knees in the near future.

As for Sudafed...I had my doctor write me a perscription...no more funny looks. They have to sell me enough to get through a month and it's always ready for me. It's the only thing that will decongest my ears so I don't get ear infections.

My newest scale has programming for 1900 foods, giving you the nutrition content, sodium, fiber, fat, etc. for the amount of food you put on it. It's really cool...I've been having fun with it.

Now, if you're inquiring about a scale that can read down to a tenth of a gram then you might be into something......lol...

Plus put your hair under your hat and give the clerk a dirty look.

Thanks for the belly laughs. You too Andy. Good combacks.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

i'm shutting my blinds, & peeking through them often. i'm dredging & eluding~ lol, my Mom, they made her sign 4 sudafed!~
she was so insulted. my dear Mom , aw~

my granddaughter went to pick up sudafed, per my dr. they had to see her i.d. and sign for it. i was floored. if it is supposedly that dangerous maybe it should be by presp. only. it did work well though. lol

my granddaughter went to pick up sudafed, per my dr. they had to see her i.d. and sign for it. i was floored. if it is supposedly that dangerous maybe it should be by presp. only. it did work well though. lol

But it's safe to use it for its intended purpose. It's just that it is an ingredient in home made meth.

I wouldn't have thought about that use either, although it does make sense. I use my digital scale both for food and to weigh things like the grit for my rock tumbler.

Years ago my mom and I saw a little hand-held postage scale at my college's bookstore. My mom bought it, and we used it to figure out postage. It wasn't until just a couple years ago that I found out what a lot of other college students were using it for!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom