Kitchen tools you need two of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
It seems my spatula/turner is always in the dishwasher sitting there dirty when I need it (which is often), so last night I bought (rage bought) a new one off ebay at 2 AM. lol. It's just an el cheapo $5 steel one.

Spatula is definitely a tool you need 2 of. Any other tools in the same category?

Actually, two of me sometimes. The one who does, and the other who is supposed to be doing clean up as he goes.

Oven Mitts

Spatulas,

Measuring cups, actually more than two in some sizes
Measuring spoons, for when one gets wet and you need dry
Favorite size mixing bowls. pie plates

Most of the above can be found at garage/ estate/ sales.

I have three spatulas - two metal and one for the non-stick - plus a fish turner [emoji38]

I also have:

- Duplicate measuring cups and spoons
- About 20 wooden utensils - stirrers and scrapers - including some with silicon heads.
- Three half sheet pans and two racks.
- Two old spice containers refilled with table salt - one in the baking cabinet and one near the stove for seasoning pasta and potato water.
- strainers

That's all I can think of right now.

Oh, and Tupperware. My wife is a Tupperware freak. At least half of our cabinets are full of this stuff.....talk about wasted cabinet space.....and the other half are in the garage, in cardboard boxes, some sets never opened or used.

I have favorite spatulas, tongs, etc. and they are always washed by hand and put away never to see the dishwasher, thanks to the Souschef. The dishwasher is fine for lots of things but not for daily cooking favorites, as we only run the dishwasher about twice a week.

Last edited:
couple years ago, I took everything out of the drawer and put it in a box. Then I did the same thing with the next drawer and put that in a box, on the floor. Then I did it again. So for 2 weeks every time I used something I put it back in the drawers. Consolidated the boxes and that is my extra kitchen junk. My drawers are full again but much more useful stuff in there. 2 sets of measuring spoons, 3 sets of cup measures, 3 - 4 cup measures, 4 kinds of thermometers, 2 silicone scrapers.

Chopsticks! You need 2 chopsticks for them to function properly.
Otherwise you just have a spear.

Last edited:
Two of everything, at least...or so it seems. Couple of years ago I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets and gave a ton of stuff for a charity tag sale. When I got home, the cabinets were full. Still a mystery. And spatulas...carbon steel and stainless, griddle spatulas, steak turners, cake turners, stiff and flexy, couple of fish turners in there, grilling spatulas for the barbie. I am totally terrible about this.

Same here Gadzooks, with the spatulas....I just counted and have 9 - I think I need a spatula intervention. :LOL: Metal, Teflon, long handled for grilling, fish turners, rubber ones in pretty colors.... :ermm::LOL:

Pretty much duplicates in everything listed above - I should also add Pyrex measuring cups, I've got 4 of them ranging from 1-cup to 4-cup.

Roadfix...your post prompted me to clean out my 'tupperware' cabinet. A one-person household should not be allowed to have as many as I've got....ugh...

Last edited:
Same here Gadzooks, with the spatulas....I just counted and have 9 - I think I need a spatula intervention. [emoji38] Metal, Teflon, long handled for grilling, fish turners, rubber ones in pretty colors.... :ermm:[emoji38]

Pretty much duplicates in everything listed above - I should also add Pyrex measuring cups, I've got 4 of them ranging from 1-cup to 4-cup.

Roadfix...your post prompted me to clean out my 'tupperware' cabinet. A one-person household should not be allowed to have as many as I've got....ugh...

I didn't even count the grilling utensils :shock:

Cups and bowls are only duplicates if they're different sizes ;)

Turkey lifters: or else you just have a turkey roller.

Salad forks: or else you just have 1 giant fork.

In spite of the fact that I use a digital scale to do most of my measuring, I still have a small crock in a cabinet that has several sets of measuring spoons. In the same cabinet I have multiple measuring cups. I've discovered over 60 years of cooking having multiples of these tools makes my cooking precise and more efficient. Use a tool, toss it and use another. Regardless whether if you have a dishwasher or not, cleaning these small items is an efficient use of my time.

I have favorite spatulas, tongs, etc. and they are always washed by hand and put away never to see the dishwasher, thanks to the Souschef. The dishwasher is fine for lots of things but not for daily cooking favorites, as we only run the dishwasher about twice a week.

I have favorite tongs and spatulas too, that always get hand washed, but I'm still doubled up on them, as there are times when I need more than one for the same meal. I have quite a few of those things which are used daily, even twice or thrice daily, so can't go in the dishwasher unless it's due to be run.

Since we only run the dishwasher a couple of times each week, there are quite few items that get hand washed after every use, and that includes most of my knives, all of my wooden implements, and my preferred mixing bowl set, a 4 piece set of Pyrex bowls that we got as a wedding present 25 years ago in May.

My friends worry about me, when they see how many pairs of tongs and how many plastic cutting boards I have. It is borderline obsessive with me.

Two chopsticks are no more useful to me than one. No matter how much I practice, I am still mediocre with them. I try, but eventually decide I want to actually eat before my food gets cold, and revert to a fork -- the four-prong spear.

CD

Same here, Kay and Rick. I rinse the dishes well and put them in the dishwasher but only run it once or twice a week, IF that. Most times I just wash everything in the sink - it depends on what I'm making and how many dishes, bowls, etc. I've used, and how lazy I'm feeling. :LOL:

Knives, anything with wood, and pots and pans never go in the dishwasher. I threw away all my plastic handled rubber spatulas a year or so ago and the ones I replaced them with have wooden handles. It took me a while to remember not to toss them in the dishwasher. It's just habit to have a little bit of soapy water in the sink and clean as I go, as I HATE unloading the dishwasher for some reason. :LOL:

I especially love and use the rubber spatulas almost daily for my morning scrambled eggs, since they are so flexible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom