"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #11

I like my boat motor.. and I use my George Foreman alot.. comes in handy with an apartment.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Must admit I'm a softie when it comes to buying cooking gadgets & gizmos. I'm contemplating purchasing these handy-dandy food injectors. Has anyone tried them? Any interesting ideas?

Although, this is not a new idea, I watched many interesting ways to add more flavor to foods in a presentation on qvc. The product is for liquid & solid food injectors. You can inject liquids like lemon or orange juice into chicken, etc. The solid injector will hold garlic, cranberrys, sun dried tomatoes, basil, etc. for roasts, turkey, ham etc.

On the demo, a roast was made on a rotisserie (I think w a rub on the outside), & after slicing you could see the bits of garlic, sundried tomatoes & basil/pesto. Thought this would perk up holiday dishes, the big bird, ham, etc. Any thoughts? (Please, talk me out of it?)

Old 10-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
Head Chef

I only have two gadgets that I no longer use,
One is a shaved ice maker (the type that you put a frozen block of fruit juice/ koolaid/ect.. in) and an electric grilled sandwich maker, (sort of a press with compartments, where you place two slices of bread in and insert your favorite fillings). I used both when my children were small and lived at home but I haven't used them since.
Wanted to get rid of them, but I figured I might break them out one day for grandchildren, (if I'm lucky) :D
Old 10-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

I have been to so many yard sales and flea markets I have lost count. I love to rummage through all that old stuff. I have a collection of kitchen gadgets/toys/tools on display on a book shelf in my kitchen and some arranged artfully on the wall. I do not use these, just for show. Quite a number of them I have no idea what they possibly be used for. One a friend figured out as a cheese grater, it is 4x6 inches and about 1/2 inch thick with a frame with two legs on the bottom and a handle on top. There are about six pieces of bamboo with teeth on them on both sides. Guess the grater is a good use for it. These gadgets get lot of attention from my friends.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Hold the Don Perion - choclatechef is dizzy enough from playing with her toys!
Michael, you are so right!

It is truly pathetic when seeing an old carbon steel forged knife -- especially Sabatier, or a rare Hobart/Kitchenaid mixer or attachment makes your heart palpatate!

Lord knows I salivate over thick heavy copper pots, and go into a fever over a wanting that vintage Copco enameled cast iron oval casserole!

I truly love my kitchen toys! I need to win the lottery!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
THe mushroom cutter!! i don't know y im so amused by it lol
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I have been to so many yard sales and flea markets I have lost count. I love to rummage through all that old stuff. I have a collection of kitchen gadgets/toys/tools on display on a book shelf in my kitchen and some arranged artfully on the wall. I do not use these, just for show. Quite a number of them I have no idea what they possibly be used for. One a friend figured out as a cheese grater, it is 4x6 inches and about 1/2 inch thick with a frame with two legs on the bottom and a handle on top. There are about six pieces of bamboo with teeth on them on both sides. Guess the grater is a good use for it. These gadgets get lot of attention from my friends.
That is a neat idea.. to display vintage kitchen gadgets. I love going to garage sales/flea markets. You never know what you'll find!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

Mish, if you've got a friend who is a nurse/paramedic/physician then they "might" be able to help you procure a large 10-50cc syringe and a large bore needle 3"-4" in length. That's really all the liquid injector is. I know I've seen these liquid injectors at the grocery store for fairly cheap prices (under $5).

As for the "solids" injector, which really is for injecting a thick puree - a couple of workarounds here. If you have one of those cookie press/cake decorating sets you can use that - just use a plain round tip to inset into the hole you've made. Or, the method I use, is a plain round pastry tip and a pastry bag - that way I have a choice of tip sizes and can thus make a thicker or thinner puree as I wish.

For packing in more solid material ... diced sun dried tomatoes, garlic, etc. - make a trip to the hardware store and get some wooden dowel rods in various diameters (the sizes you will be needing depending on how large of holes you're going to make) and use them to stuff with.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
I bought a ice cream sandwich maker/storage unit.

basically, it's a round cooking cutter so the cookies come out evenly. then it has a cylinder to store the cookies. i was sure I'd use it this summer, but didn't. I'm glad I returned the $16 one I saw at Williams-Sonoma and got a $5 one from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I try to get things as I need them.

Oh......I bought a tart pan that needs to be initiated. Anyone have any good tart recipes (that don't include custard).

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I have yet to use my pierogi cutter...
but my feemster slicer is it, for me. (Mom's had one since I was a wee one, so I assume they've been around forever.)
what's a feemster slicer...or have i been sucked into a joke? i use my pierogi cutter to make little bitty fried pies.