"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I also remember the free coffee mugs that Shell gave out in the 1970's with a free fill up...and then the panic to get rid of them when it was found that they were made with lead.
BK, McD, Taco Bell, etc at one time or another also gave glasses with different hero's of the day on them. Massachusetts has very strong laws regarding lead laden products. When BK first started giving them out, our lead police tested them and had them pulled immediately. As a result, other states were still putting them out, and our parents were hard put to explain to the kids when they saw the commercials why they didn't get one. I had a complete set of 10 oz. glasses sponsored by Pepsi. But they sat on the top shelf until I finally gave them away. I got them with a root beer float.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Executive Chef

There was a similar fuss in the UK in the 1970s when there was a fashion for red enamel on steel (not Le Creuset stuff) teapots, coffee pots and mugs coming out of China. The red pigment was found to contain cadmium which is highly toxic with the result that strict regulations were introduced covering the use of cadmium

Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

bump.

does anyone get their cookware tested as the op did?

would one of those home lead testing kits work with cookware?

i feel kinda stupid asking this...

time for a sherry. where's ishbel when i need... hey, look, a squirrel.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

bt, I had a lead testing kit many years ago when Poo was quite small. I was looking for an apartment to rent and brought the kit with me. I would test the paint just below the legal height. If it showed lead paint even under the top coat, I wouldn't rent it. I suppose it would work on other items also. You can get the kit in any hardware store.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm guessing the you need a sample of what's being tested, and obtaining a paint chip is easy.

do you need a scraping of metal sample, or can it just be rubbed on to test for cookware?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm guessing the you need a sample of what's being tested, and obtaining a paint chip is easy.

do you need a scraping of metal sample, or can it just be rubbed on to test for cookware?
It has been almost forty years, and if my memory is correct, the solution will bubble if there is lead and turn a certain color. You put a couple of drops on the area. They may have better kits today. But they do come with directions easy to follow. The guy in the hardware store can give you more information. You might want to Google the subject also.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, i'll do my homework, as always. it's just always good to ask opinions. sort of an angie's list. do you have that up thee in beantown?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
yeah, i'll do my homework, as always. it's just always good to ask opinions. sort of an angie's list. do you have that up thee in beantown?
Yes we do. BTW, we have very strict laws regarding lead paint. Homes have to be lead free so many feet up both inside and out. Because of the expense of making a home lead free for children, you can't sell your home to a family with small children if it isn't lead free. A lot of landlords and owners won't go through the expense of removing the leaded paint. And you can't do it yourself, you have to hire a licensed technician to do it.

Angie's List now want's to have vendors place their price in their listing. That is not a good idea. For plumbers and electricians and others, the cost depends on how long a job takes.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

aka: how long i have to look at their crack problem?

what is it with those people? can they not buy pants AND/OR underwear that stretches? do they know their ass is hanging out? don't they notice the draft?

i feel like i'm channeling seinfeld.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
aka: how long i have to look at their crack problem?

what is it with those people? can they not buy pants AND/OR underwear that stretches? do they know their ass is hanging out? don't they notice the draft?

i feel like i'm channeling seinfeld.
It is listed as "Required" in the handbook of customer relations for plumbers. :When The Pirate was doing plumber work, he had special pants for the job. angel: