"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2
Looking for a piece...please help

I'm looking for something I've never heard of, or seen.

I don't know the name, but it's been described as looking like an old flat iron (the monopoly peice if you will), but used to press sandwhiches and stuff.

This is the only description I've gotten of it, and I still haven't found anyone that even has an idea of what i'm talking about. If anyone could help, i'd really appreciate it.


macisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
GB's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
The only thing I can think of would be a panini press or panini grill. The are sort of like a waffle iron, but without the indents, just flat. They do not look like a flat iron like the monopoly piece though. Here is a picture of one.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,616
I've seen a flat cast iron square or circle with a handle. Check this out.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2
thanks andy m. I'm thinking this is it exactly. thanks so much for your help.
macisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
mudbug's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
Just looked at andy's link to Lodge. We call that thing a bacon press.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Master Chef
Michael in FtW's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
It just depends on who makes it and who sells it as to what it is called. Lodge calls their gizmo a Grill Press, as mudbug noted it is also commonly called a Bacon Press, but some commercial restaurant supply houses carry the same type thing and call it a Steak Weight. They can be made from different materials (aluminum, carbon steel or traditionally cast iron), sizes, or shapes(which will alter the weight) and some have a flat surface, some are waffeled or ribbed, and some are embosed with either a concave or convex design - like a pig for a bacon press.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 2,525
During the grilltop cooking days they were referred to as 'flavor reducers' as they squeezed out all fats and juices. They really do wonders tho, they shouldn't cost more than ten bucks apiece.
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Master Chef
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
I keep saying I'll buy a bacon press the first time I see one, but in the meanwhile take a skillet (preferably somewhat heavy) the same size or smaller than the skillet that you're cooking in. Heat the skillet on another burner, then use it to press the sandwich (either panini or cuban) or other food. Wouldn't work for bacon, but works well for the sandwiches or larger pieces of meat you might want to press for some reason. Just don't forget you've cooked with the bottom of that skillet and stick it back on the heat, or your stove (and skillet) will be a mess.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
a bacon press, mine has a pig on it! but a helf filled flot bottom tea kettle will work too!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Depending on what you are making you can also take a brick and wrap it in foil it makes a great free press.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas Baking Recipe Exchange marmalady Cookies 52 11-29-2006 09:21 PM
Sunday Dinner lyndalou Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres 12 02-19-2005 04:27 AM
Thanksgiving........fruit? jkath Fruit & Nuts 20 02-12-2005 03:40 PM
Your oldest piece of equipment? Anonymous Appliances 51 09-21-2004 10:53 AM

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.