"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Microcomputer rice cooker, durable or not?

Not exactly the same model as the picture, but I found something similar by Panasonic too, I forget the model number, but there was a word printed "Microcomputer"

Is this kind of rice cooker durable or bad ?

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:15 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I found a unknown brand rice cook at low price but the advantage is they are using stainless steel instead. Is it always safer to use stainless steel inner bowl compared to any other materials?

Old 08-31-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Cook

If you are concerned about nonstick than yes, stainless is the way to go. As for the word microcomputer, I think all of the sophisticated rice cookers have this technology, some call it fuzzy logic.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
If you are concerned about nonstick than yes, stainless is the way to go. As for the word microcomputer, I think all of the sophisticated rice cookers have this technology, some call it fuzzy logic.
Could it fail in one or two years? Is it likely?
My old rice cook was used 20+ years no problem at all but the nonstick pot
is badly scratched....I am worried about "Microcomputer" is easy to fail shortly
Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Could it fail in one or two years? Possible

Is it likely? Very unlikely

I am worried about "Microcomputer" is easy to fail shortly. Just a marketing term Everything around you is "microcomputerized"....not worth losing sleep over it.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook

My first rice cooker was a cheapie, no microcomputer. It worked but it’s not as good as my Zojirishi rice cooker which makes perfect rice every time. It also tells you when it will be ready in terms of time remaining.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
My first rice cooker was a cheapie, no microcomputer. It worked but its not as good as my Zojirishi rice cooker which makes perfect rice every time. It also tells you when it will be ready in terms of time remaining.
Hi. I see Zojirishi here and I have a good impression of this brand.
Is your Zojirishi microcomputer or non-microcomputer?
Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Zojirishi is definitely microcomputer, or Fuzzy Logic, as you'll see on their cookers (I think that they are the ones that started that term, but I wouldn't swear to it). If you haven't looked at them in the "catalogs", the prices may shock you. They have all sorts of cooking modes, but if you aren't cooking all those things, you might just want a simple model.

Something that I remembered while you were talking about looking for brands without NS inserts - back in the early 90s, a friend had gotten married, and early on, I noticed that they had a VERY OLD rice cooker (his wife is half Japanese, so cooked rice frequently), with an insert that was not NS, and the rice stuck in it every time, needing soaked, to clean out. The insert was scratched terribly, through the years, which is probably what made it stick so badly. Knowing this, I make sure that I treat my IP as if it has NS, even though it is SS, and use only wood, plastic, silicone, and other implements I use in NS. Highly polished SS is somewhat non-stick, but it scratches up quickly, with metal implements.

Rice only sticks a little in that SS insert when left for a long time, after finished cooking, which I rarely do. Like other cookers, it goes into a "keep warm mode", which I'm sure that your old rice cooker has.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

A non-stick coating should not be a concern because the chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) that is suspected of causing cancer is no longer used. As long as what you buy is newer than 2013, there's nothing to worry about.

Computer technology is pretty common in small and large appliances these days. My microwave detects how many potatoes I put in it and uses fuzzy logic to determine how long to cook them. Go ahead and buy a new rice cooker and don't worry about it.

Or, do like I do and cook rice in the microwave or a stainless steel pot. For plain white rice, in the microwave, I cook it for 7 minutes, then stir, then 8 more minutes. Perfect every time. For rice pilaf and other types of rice, I cook it on the stovetop for 15 minutes, then check and see how it's doing. It usually needs a few more minutes.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A non-stick coating should not be a concern because the chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) that is suspected of causing cancer is no longer used. As long as what you buy is newer than 2013, there's nothing to worry about.

Computer technology is pretty common in small and large appliances these days. My microwave detects how many potatoes I put in it and uses fuzzy logic to determine how long to cook them. Go ahead and buy a new rice cooker and don't worry about it.

Or, do like I do and cook rice in the microwave or a stainless steel pot. For plain white rice, in the microwave, I cook it for 7 minutes, then stir, then 8 more minutes. Perfect every time. For rice pilaf and other types of rice, I cook it on the stovetop for 15 minutes, then check and see how it's doing. It usually needs a few more minutes.
Can I say that those long saying about nonstick coating and cancer is no longer valid and now just something kept saying but not valid today???

Tags
cook, rice