My kitchen purchase of the week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like the Fred's are having a good time.

Pootle - Mad Cook used it to describe her wander through the store. So really it's a UK thing that we took hold of and ran with it.

Whiska - are you really a Fred? My imaginary friend's name is Fred...umm...I mean as I was growing up...

Pootle - Mad Cook used it to describe her wander through the store. So really it's a UK thing that we took hold of and ran with it.

Whiska - are you really a Fred? My imaginary friend's name is Fred...umm...I mean as I was growing up...

"Fred" is another code?

Honestly! It's going to take me weeks and months to get up to speed here! :)

Not a code, it's a name...some of us do have real names and not just usernames...

Don't worry, in a couple of weeks you will be as goofy as we are.

I admit I did have to look on the Urban dictionary to see the meaning of pootle.

Yes and if you made Imaginary Fred a member, I think that makes 3 of us, although I don't recall if anyone ever took a Fred show of hands.

Last edited:
Not a code, it's a name...some of us do have real names and not just usernames...

Don't worry, in a couple of weeks you will be as goofy as we are.

I was goofy before I arrived, but to be fair, I feel quite at home already! ;)

A bunch of people who love food?
Check.

A bunch of people from around the world?
Check.

A bunch of people who love to chat about anything?
Check.

I admit I did have to look on the Urban dictionary to see the meaning of pootle.

Yes and if you made Imaginary Fred a member, I think that makes 3 of us, although I don't recall if anyone ever took a Fred show of hands.

I'm specially fonda Fred's...:)

Back to coffee...I have a Keurig K-cup maker, it makes one cup at a time. But it is fast enough for the two of us.

On the subject of Fred, for some reason, all spiders at my house are called Fred. ;)

Now this is an uncanny coincidence, all of my spiders are also named Fred. Who knew?

Last edited:
Now this is an uncanny coincidence, all of my spiders are also named Fred. Who knew?
That's just weird, or somehow we just knew that that is their name. I have wondered about it, 'cause most of the spiders we see are girl-spiders.

I have been known to say, "I found a big Fred in the living room and put it outside."

Last edited:
That's just weird, or somehow we just knew that that is their name. I have wondered about it, 'cause most of the spiders we see are girl-spiders.

Yes, mine are also girl spiders, but they're all named Fred. They don't seem to mind.

I was goofy before I arrived, but to be fair, I feel quite at home already! ;)

A bunch of people who love food?
Check.

A bunch of people from around the world?
Check.

A bunch of people who love to chat about anything?
Check.

Welcome Katy! Since you've made it to 40+ posts it looks like we haven't scared you off! Glad to have you here. BTW, you seemed to have missed a checkpoint in your list above. "A bunch of people who are just a little bit crazy." Check! Plus, most of us are harmless...:ermm:

I have been known to say, "I found a big Fred in the living room and put it outside."
" 'cause most of the spiders we see are girl-spiders." However do you know?

Oh no! What do you mean pacanis? I was just about to go to bed! How did you pootle? And what does it have to do with tea or coffee! :LOL:
Sorry, Katy. I thought everyone used "pootle". It means sort of pottering around only more so. Difficult to explain but when you're doing it you know. IYSWIM

A bit like "shop window fuddling" (that could be an expression specific to my family!). Both mean sort of strolling around in a leisurely fashion looking at the goods on display.

Sorry, Katy. I thought everyone used "pootle". It means sort of pottering around only more so. Difficult to explain but when you're doing it you know. IYSWIM

A bit like "shop window fuddling" (that could be an expression specific to my family!). Both mean sort of strolling around in a leisurely fashion looking at the goods on display.

Hmm. In my whole lifetime, I've never used the term "pootle".

I do remember when Pierre Elliot Trudeau was Prime Minister of Canada, and was caught using a very bad word. He contended that all he said was, "Fuddle Duddle". There were many tee shirts printed up with his statement.

My Dad actually met him when Dad was fishing in his boat, Trudeau was out swimming in the middle of Lake of the Woods with his secret service guys. He asked Dad how the fishing was.

Back
Top Bottom