"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never used the pressure cooker to make rice. As has been said, it takes 20 minutes on the stove. Once it's done, you can take it off the heat and keep it covered and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat. Time the rest of your meal to coincide with the rice and you're good to go
Good advice. If you cook the rice in 20 minutes on the stove top, you can then use your pressure cooker for a different part of the meal. Like your vegetables, or even braised meat. You can cook a chuck roast in less than 30 minutes So in the time it takes for the meat to cook your rice can be done at the same time.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What do the pressure cooker instructions say about cooking rice? You did read the instructions, right?
Well, my cooker doesn't have instructions about any meal, it just says thinks about safety, how to handle the little parts of it and so on.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josue View Post
Well, my cooker doesn't have instructions about any meal, it just says thinks about safety, how to handle the little parts of it and so on.
Does it cook other foods properly? If not, there may be an issue with the pressure cooker.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
... when the cooker starts to boil hard I start counting 15 minutes and then put out the kitchen fire and wait until the steams stop going out and that also takes about 15 minutes, that seems too much time, because as I said I heard it takes just 5 minutes to cook and then they put out the fire.
If the recipe/video you're following says to cook for 5 minutes and then put out the fire, why are you cooking it for 15 minutes?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If the recipe/video you're following says to cook for 5 minutes and then put out the fire, why are you cooking it for 15 minutes?
I do it because the rice is still raw if I put the fire out at five minutes.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Does it cook other foods properly? If not, there may be an issue with the pressure cooker.
Honestly I didn't try it, I bought the cooker to make grained rice. I can try to cook fried chicken meat, how much should I have to wait for it to be cooked?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I do it because the rice is still raw if I put the fire out at five minutes.
In that case, I'd call the recipe a failure and stop trying to make it. Even if it did cook in 5 minutes, you still have to wait 15 minutes for the pressure to diminish, which is the same amount of time it takes to make rice in a regular saucepan.

Not every Internet recipe writer knows what they're doing.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

I cook rice for about seven minutes in my pressure cooker and it comes out perfect. The rule is to add 3/4 cu of water for every cup of rice. Place on the stove over medium high heat until the regulator just starts rocking. You then know that you are at the correct internal pressure. Also, never fill the pot over 2/3rds full, with anything. If you are cooking starchy foods that will create foam when boiling (like rice) add a little butter, or oil to reduce or eliminate the foaming. After the correct time has elapsed, place the pressure cooker into your sink and run cold water over the top. This will reduce the pressure in seconds until the safety button releases, at which time you can remove the regulator to allow even more steam to escape and equalize the pressure inside and out.

My pressure cooker develops 11.5 pounds of pressure, which raises the temperature required to bring water to a boil, which in turn works with the steam and pressure to quickly cook the food.

Remember, if you are using brown rice, or wild rice, these take a longer time to cook than does white rice.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
By the way, it seems somebody misunderstood my name! I am a MAN not a WOMAN.
Americans mistake your name for Josie.... We see the first and last letters of a word and everything in between is just a blur...
Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #20
Master Chef

If it's not cooking fast enough perhaps it has a bad seal.

Tags
cook, pressure cooker, rice