My pressure cooker takes too long to cook the grained rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cook rice for about seven minutes in my pressure cooker and it comes out perfect. ... After the correct time has elapsed, place the pressure cooker into your sink and run cold water over the top. This will reduce the pressure in seconds until the safety button releases...

This seems like a lot of extra work for a small savings in time, not to mention using extra water unnecessarily. What is the advantage over cooking it in a saucepan? I don't see the problem with waiting 20 minutes for rice to cook.

Um, I just looked up Oruro, it's over 12,000 feet above sea level. So, if that's where Josue is, then that explains why it takes so long to cook.

Josue, if Oruro is, indeed, where you are from, you need to look for recipes specifically for high altitudes and/or ask for help from a neighbor or family member since I'm assuming you haven't been cooking for long since you are on this board asking for help for such a simple dish as rice.

Last edited:
I've never used the pressure cooker to make rice. As has been said, it takes 20 minutes on the stove. Once it's done, you can take it off the heat and keep it covered and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat. Time the rest of your meal to coincide with the rice and you're good to go :)

At altitude (I'm at 4000 feet above sea level) it takes more like 30 minutes to cook white rice. I mostly use brown rice, and that takes more than an hour, and about half again as much water as white rice.

At at altitude your pressure cooker will take about 30% longer to cook....

Why? The point of the pressure cooker is to create a higher pressure in the cooker. Just because the ambient pressure is less, does the pressure cooker pressurize less too? I don't understand why that would be. I'm asking because I've never owned one - never felt a need for it.

At altitude (I'm at 4000 feet above sea level) it takes more like 30 minutes to cook white rice. I mostly use brown rice, and that takes more than an hour, and about half again as much water as white rice.

Why? The point of the pressure cooker is to create a higher pressure in the cooker. Just because the ambient pressure is less, does the pressure cooker pressurize less too? I don't understand why that would be. I'm asking because I've never owned one - never felt a need for it.
I imagine it takes longer to get it up to pressure.

RPCookin said: "The point of the pressure cooker is to create a higher pressure in the cooker. Just because the ambient pressure is less, does the pressure cooker pressurize less too?"
Yes. The pressure relief valve (the part that goes Hssssss...." relieves the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the pressure cooker. If it's set for 10 pounds (just an example), it will release the pressure 10 p.s.i. above the ambient pressure, no matter what the local pressure is.
In short, local altitude does matter.

The only pressure cooker I've ever seen in action was my mother's. It was an old Presto (had to be pre 1950), and the relief valve was nothing more than a hole in a stem in the center of the lid, and you used a weighted plug sort of thing that just rested on top of the stem. It was the weight of that plug which regulated the pressure, and when the cooking was over, you just took that off and it depressurized through the relief hole in a few seconds.

That one would have cooked to the same internal pressure no matter the ambient atmospheric pressure because it was controlled by gravity.

Last edited:
RPCookin said: "The point of the pressure cooker is to create a higher pressure in the cooker. Just because the ambient pressure is less, does the pressure cooker pressurize less too?"
Yes. The pressure relief valve (the part that goes Hssssss...." relieves the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the pressure cooker. If it's set for 10 pounds (just an example), it will release the pressure 10 p.s.i. above the ambient pressure, no matter what the local pressure is.
In short, local altitude does matter.

What you say could be correct, if the pressure exerted by the outside ambient pressure determined the force placed on the pressure regulator. But at least in both of my pressure cookers, there are weights that regulate the pressure. It takes 11.5 lbs. psi to lift the weight of the regulator to allow steam to escape. My larger Pc has added weight rings that can be added so that the internal pressure of the pot requires 11.5, 12, or 15 lbs. of internal pressure to release steam, regardless of the ambient atmospheric pressure. The deciding factors are the rigid, closed pot, and the weighted pressure regulator. The inside conditions of the pressure cooker are isolated from outside conditions except for gravity. If you were on the moon, it would take much less pressure to cause the PC to release pressure, but that is because the regulator would weigh less due to a weaker gravitational field, not because the PC is in a vacuum.

If the PC were a semi-flexible container, then yes, outside pressure would make a dramatic difference.

Water boils at a lower temperature in an unsealed pot because there is less atmospheric pressure. But the PC develops its pressure by lifting a weight. The difference in the weight of the regulator between 5000 feet, and sea level is negligable, and so the internal pressure of the pot should be the same regardless of the elevation you are cooking at.

I concur with the post that suggests a poor seal between the lid and the pot, or maybe a faulty pressure valve, if your PC has one.

In answere to GG's question, I sometimes cook my rice on the stove top, in a covered pot, sometimes in the rice cooker, and sometimes in the PC, depending on other factors. The PC is not any more work than the other methods, and shortens the cooking time required, which can free me to get other things done, as that burner is available to me for reuse sooner.

Why, I've even been known to pre-cook my rice, and heat in later in the microwave.

There are valid reasons to use the PC, just as there are valid reasons to cook a specific rice pilaf that we make on the stove top rather than in the oven, in a casserole dish as the recipe was first given to us. Sometimes though, using the casserole dish is the better choice, again, depending on other factors. And the cookinhg period from removing the PC to opening the lid, when I place the unopened PC under cold running water is less than 30 seconds, litteraly.

To know many techniques is to allow greater creativity, and better time management. It gives you flexibility.

Oh, one thing that will affect time is outside ambient temperature. The cooler it is in your home, the more time that will be required to bring the PC up to sufficient temperature to develop the required cooking pressure, and more energy will be required to keep it there. The pot radiates heat, as well as absorbing it. The greater the difference between the temperature of the metal, and the air, the faster the pot will radiate heat from the pot.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
RPC.......But if the ambient pressure is lower then there is less pressure "weighing" that plug down against the relief hole, I would think....

The size of that plug wouldn't create enough pressure difference to cause dramatic change.

If you have a container whose lid is say, 100 square inches in size, then if you pump 15 lbs of pressure into the container, the lifting pressure on the lid would be 100, times 15, or 1,500 psi. The average pressure regulator probably has less that a squate inch of area on which the atmospher can exert force. Let's say we have an average atmospheric pressure of 10 lbs. per square inch, and the regulator has an area of .5 inches. The pressure exerted on the regulator is 5 lbs. psi, and it is exerted on top, on the sides, and underneath the reculator, and so has virtually no affect on the pressure regulator. The inside temperature however, exerts its energy in one direction, to lift the regulator upward. It has no force to counter that lift except gravity.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In that case, I'd call the recipe a failure and stop trying to make it. Even if it did cook in 5 minutes, you still have to wait 15 minutes for the pressure to diminish, which is the same amount of time it takes to make rice in a regular saucepan.

Not every Internet recipe writer knows what they're doing.
Well, my "recipe" is terribly simply: grained rice, and just that :mrgreen:, and I of course need it for many many kinds of meal, so I still have to look for the best solution for me, even if it consist of buying a new cooker, that's why I asked the brand of cooker all of you use. But I sincerely thank your help and opinion, and the other's,.

If someone is using a pressure cooker with a gauge instead of weights, I think the possible effects of altitude would be irrelevant. Well, except it might still take longer to get up to pressure.

Gravity has nothing to do with it. Atmospheric pressure altitude is the determining factor and is more significant than most people realize.
When compared with sea level, a person at 5,000 ft. altitude experiences a pressure loss of 15%. At 10,000 ft. you've lost 30%, so instead of your 11.5 pounds of internal pressure of your pressure cooker, you're only cooking with 8.05 pounds of pressure before the relief valve begins to open.

Well, my "recipe" is terribly simply: grained rice, and just that :mrgreen:, and I of course need it for many many kinds of meal, so I still have to look for the best solution for me, even if it consist of buying a new cooker, that's why I asked the brand of cooker all of you use. But I sincerely thank your help and opinion, and the other's,.

A recipe includes the instructions to make it. The recipe you're using is not working for the conditions you're cooking under. I think medtran's suggestion to ask someone who lives near you for advice is a good one.

A recipe includes the instructions to make it. The recipe you're using is not working for the conditions you're cooking under. I think medtran's suggestion to ask someone who lives near you for advice is a good one.

That's the smartest idea yet! :hammer: :LOL:

This site explains what happens in a pressure cooker quite nicely. But to understand it you should have a little physics background. And yes, the weight of the regulator cap determines the inside pressure of the PC.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom