My pressure cooker takes too long to cook the grained rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josue

Assistant Cook
Hi, we call that "arroz graneado" in spanish.
Anyway, my problem is that I think my cooker takes too long to cook it, about 15 minutes. In every video on YouTube they say it takes about 5 minutes, I don't understand why my cooker takes too much, it's a new cooker.
The way I cook the rice is like this: I put water on the cooker and (of course) light the fire, at the same time I start to roast the rice and when it is done I open the cooker and put it, when the cooker starts to boil hard I start counting 15 minutes and then put out the kitchen fire and wait until the steams stop going out and that also takes about 15 minutes, that seems too much time, because as I said I heard it takes just 5 minutes to cook and then they put out the fire.
My question to you is: how much does it take it to you? What brand of pressure cooker do you use?
I put a image of my cooker. I hope very much your answers.
imagedata.php

Why do you want to cook rice in a pressure cooker? We tried a rice cooker once without satisfaction, so we still cook our rice on the stove top with out issue.

Why do you want to cook rice in a pressure cooker? We tried a rice cooker once without satisfaction, so we still cook our rice on the stove top with out issue.

Same here Craig. It only takes 20 minutes. With her waiting for the pressure to drop to a safe level, it is taking her twice as long.

I had a pressure cooker back in the late 60's. I remember very well, it said to not cook grains in it. The directions said that it is possible for a grain to clogged the steam outlet and the pressure can build up. Maybe they have made them safer today. :angel:

We use the pressure cooker I got when my oldest brother passed.

Same here Craig. It only takes 20 minutes. With her waiting for the pressure to drop to a safe level, it is taking her twice as long.

I had a pressure cooker back in the late 60's. I remember very well, it said to not cook grains in it. The directions said that it is possible for a grain to clogged the steam outlet and the pressure can build up. Maybe they have made them safer today. :angel:

Grain can be cooked in a pressure cooker but you have to follow the directions of not over-filling so that it could potentially clog, and also you need to make sure the vent/pressure hole in the middle of the top is clear, as well as the safety release valve both BEFORE and AFTER cooking.

Given that I am still extremely wary of using one after what I witnessed as a child of the aftermath of over-filling and blocking the pressure vent hole, the pressure cooker is definitely 1 utensil that I follow EXACTLY TO THE LETTER the instructions on using.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answers.
I want to cook it on the pressure cooker because I want the meal to be ready soon. Buy I still have the question, do you use to cook grained rice on pressure cooker? if you do, how much does it take to you? and what brand of pressure cooker do you use?

By the way, it seems somebody misunderstood my name! I am a MAN not a WOMAN.

Last edited:
I've never used the pressure cooker to make rice. As has been said, it takes 20 minutes on the stove. Once it's done, you can take it off the heat and keep it covered and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat. Time the rest of your meal to coincide with the rice and you're good to go :)

What do the pressure cooker instructions say about cooking rice? You did read the instructions, right?

I've never used the pressure cooker to make rice. As has been said, it takes 20 minutes on the stove. Once it's done, you can take it off the heat and keep it covered and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat. Time the rest of your meal to coincide with the rice and you're good to go :)

Good advice. If you cook the rice in 20 minutes on the stove top, you can then use your pressure cooker for a different part of the meal. Like your vegetables, or even braised meat. You can cook a chuck roast in less than 30 minutes So in the time it takes for the meat to cook your rice can be done at the same time. :angel:

What do the pressure cooker instructions say about cooking rice? You did read the instructions, right?
Well, my cooker doesn't have instructions about any meal, it just says thinks about safety, how to handle the little parts of it and so on.

Well, my cooker doesn't have instructions about any meal, it just says thinks about safety, how to handle the little parts of it and so on.

Does it cook other foods properly? If not, there may be an issue with the pressure cooker.

... when the cooker starts to boil hard I start counting 15 minutes and then put out the kitchen fire and wait until the steams stop going out and that also takes about 15 minutes, that seems too much time, because as I said I heard it takes just 5 minutes to cook and then they put out the fire.

If the recipe/video you're following says to cook for 5 minutes and then put out the fire, why are you cooking it for 15 minutes?

If the recipe/video you're following says to cook for 5 minutes and then put out the fire, why are you cooking it for 15 minutes?
I do it because the rice is still raw if I put the fire out at five minutes.

Does it cook other foods properly? If not, there may be an issue with the pressure cooker.
Honestly I didn't try it, I bought the cooker to make grained rice. I can try to cook fried chicken meat, how much should I have to wait for it to be cooked?

I do it because the rice is still raw if I put the fire out at five minutes.

In that case, I'd call the recipe a failure and stop trying to make it. Even if it did cook in 5 minutes, you still have to wait 15 minutes for the pressure to diminish, which is the same amount of time it takes to make rice in a regular saucepan.

Not every Internet recipe writer knows what they're doing.

I cook rice for about seven minutes in my pressure cooker and it comes out perfect. The rule is to add 3/4 cu of water for every cup of rice. Place on the stove over medium high heat until the regulator just starts rocking. You then know that you are at the correct internal pressure. Also, never fill the pot over 2/3rds full, with anything. If you are cooking starchy foods that will create foam when boiling (like rice) add a little butter, or oil to reduce or eliminate the foaming. After the correct time has elapsed, place the pressure cooker into your sink and run cold water over the top. This will reduce the pressure in seconds until the safety button releases, at which time you can remove the regulator to allow even more steam to escape and equalize the pressure inside and out.

My pressure cooker develops 11.5 pounds of pressure, which raises the temperature required to bring water to a boil, which in turn works with the steam and pressure to quickly cook the food.

Remember, if you are using brown rice, or wild rice, these take a longer time to cook than does white rice.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom