"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 05-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question My pressure cooker takes too long to cook the grained rice

Hi, we call that "arroz graneado" in spanish.
Anyway, my problem is that I think my cooker takes too long to cook it, about 15 minutes. In every video on YouTube they say it takes about 5 minutes, I don't understand why my cooker takes too much, it's a new cooker.
The way I cook the rice is like this: I put water on the cooker and (of course) light the fire, at the same time I start to roast the rice and when it is done I open the cooker and put it, when the cooker starts to boil hard I start counting 15 minutes and then put out the kitchen fire and wait until the steams stop going out and that also takes about 15 minutes, that seems too much time, because as I said I heard it takes just 5 minutes to cook and then they put out the fire.
My question to you is: how much does it take it to you? What brand of pressure cooker do you use?
I put a image of my cooker. I hope very much your answers.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Why do you want to cook rice in a pressure cooker? We tried a rice cooker once without satisfaction, so we still cook our rice on the stove top with out issue.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Why do you want to cook rice in a pressure cooker? We tried a rice cooker once without satisfaction, so we still cook our rice on the stove top with out issue.
Same here Craig. It only takes 20 minutes. With her waiting for the pressure to drop to a safe level, it is taking her twice as long.

I had a pressure cooker back in the late 60's. I remember very well, it said to not cook grains in it. The directions said that it is possible for a grain to clogged the steam outlet and the pressure can build up. Maybe they have made them safer today.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Executive Chef

We use the pressure cooker I got when my oldest brother passed.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Same here Craig. It only takes 20 minutes. With her waiting for the pressure to drop to a safe level, it is taking her twice as long.

I had a pressure cooker back in the late 60's. I remember very well, it said to not cook grains in it. The directions said that it is possible for a grain to clogged the steam outlet and the pressure can build up. Maybe they have made them safer today.
Grain can be cooked in a pressure cooker but you have to follow the directions of not over-filling so that it could potentially clog, and also you need to make sure the vent/pressure hole in the middle of the top is clear, as well as the safety release valve both BEFORE and AFTER cooking.

Given that I am still extremely wary of using one after what I witnessed as a child of the aftermath of over-filling and blocking the pressure vent hole, the pressure cooker is definitely 1 utensil that I follow EXACTLY TO THE LETTER the instructions on using.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Senior Cook

It only takes 20 minutes on the stove.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you very much for your answers.
I want to cook it on the pressure cooker because I want the meal to be ready soon. Buy I still have the question, do you use to cook grained rice on pressure cooker? if you do, how much does it take to you? and what brand of pressure cooker do you use?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

By the way, it seems somebody misunderstood my name! I am a MAN not a WOMAN.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never used the pressure cooker to make rice. As has been said, it takes 20 minutes on the stove. Once it's done, you can take it off the heat and keep it covered and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat. Time the rest of your meal to coincide with the rice and you're good to go
Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

What do the pressure cooker instructions say about cooking rice? You did read the instructions, right?

Tags
cook, pressure cooker, rice