"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need Cookware Advice

I am a housewife and always cook at home.I want yr advice regarding cooking utensils.I make curries,stir fries,sautees etc.I want to know which is the best pan for cooking.I like to use a wok.At present I am using a non-stick pan for shallow fries, sometimes aluminium wok for shallow fries and making curries.I avoid making anything acidic in aluminuim.Even if I make,I quickly transfer it to a steel dish.could U tell me which is the best material for cooking? non-stick or enamel coated cast iron wok.I haven't yet purchased a enamel coated cast iron wok but I guess,it is pretty heavy.I am a thin person,so it may be heavy for me.I am confused and will be very happy if U could advise me abt the best material for cooking,which is not toxic but safe for cooking.

Is non-stick the best? if it is,then is it safe? and need we change it often.Pls feel free to post yr opinion.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First, "Hi," chitra67. Welcome to DC. We're glad you have found us.

I don't have the answer to your question, but there are many knowledgeable members who certainly can help you. Just be patient and the answers will come.

Stay and enjoy everything we have to share.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

thanks katie for the warm welcome.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I wish I could help too. I have a set of hard anodized aluminum but would love to switch to stainless steel, however, that would cause a divorce!

Frankly, the cast iron wok sounds like it would be a good choice. Then maybe you could get a stainless steel saute pan.

It really sounds like you have the things you like to cook with already though. If you toss your wok to stir your food you won't be doing that with a cast iron one

When you say "shallow fries" are you referring to filling it with oil and deep frying? I wouldn't fry like that in a non-stick pan. I would reserve that kind of frying for stainless steel or hard anodized aluminum.

If you mean sauteing then that is fine.

.......and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

ya,by shallow fry i mean,very little oil used,ie sauteeing.stainless steel pans are not good for frying,they tend to stick right? strictly speaking,they are the best.stainsteel is safe but,not good for sauteeing or frying.They tend to burn and stick.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

What are the advantages of hard anodized aluminium? any disadvantages?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitra67
ya,by shallow fry i mean,very little oil used,ie sauteeing.stainless steel pans are not good for frying,they tend to stick right? strictly speaking,they are the best.stainsteel is safe but,not good for sauteeing or frying.They tend to burn and stick.
Heat your pan, add your cold oil, let it heat, then add your food.

The saying is - hot pan cold oil food won't stick. It works. And don't get the heat too terribly high.

I just like my hard anodized aluminum because they are so very durable, hold heat, etc. I don't think there's any danger in using hard anodized aluminum.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

A carbon steel wok is a versatile tool for a lot of your cooking. In addition, I like stainless steel for sautes. If you choose SS, look for pieces that are aluminum clad with SS, that is a layer of aluminum with a layer of stainless on both sides. This promotes even distribution of head with no hot spots that promote burning.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
^^^ wot he said ^^^

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

thanks everyboday for yr valuble suggestions and advice.Andy what is carbon steel?How to recognise it?