"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Head Chef

if you can paint them, just using a nice color in the door "grooves" would spark things up nicely. You could change the knobs for something nicer, too.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Half Baked

I have been in the cabinet business for 30+ years. Skip the designer! Call a cabinet shop! This is what they do!

You have frameless cabinets that need some repairs and refacing on some edges and ends. They can build any you want to add too.If they can't match the door exactly then change them all out.There are some places that sell glazed thermofoil doors that look pretty awesome.

I have had good luck with this company but your local shop may have their own source depending on what you get.
Northern Contours

If you go with the glazed doors make sure they change the crown to glazed too.

On edit: DO NOT try and paint them.The paint won't stick.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I don't have cupboard doors
Old 04-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
Senior Cook

My hubby is very handy. We had plywood (ugly) cabinets that had been painted at least 8 times, including one horrible "antiquing" layer. He took bead-board and put a veneer over the doors and took the scraps and covered the edges. Trim covered a lot of mistakes, but all the grooves are lined up....it looks absolutely fantastic, and it's been 7 years. We (he) just put in a dark formica countertop and we (me) painted the rough walls a dark red. I am sure you could find a workman that could do that much cheaper than replacing everything.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Head Chef

We are ending up sticking with the white - it will still look great. As for the one or two that are a little bit bubbled on the bottom (cant even see it unless you know its there) the doors are extremely inexpensive.

I appreciate all of the suggestions, some of them are useful even by staying with the white cabinets (like Katie's suggestion for example)

I prefer to use the designer simply because I'm not just doing cabinets. I have a small kitchen with NO dining room and I need someone to show me how to use the space properly. She is also my project manager.

It's cheaper to just buy the cabinets than reface everything.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

you can order new doors. And if you want you can veneer the frames
Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I used to do a lot of kitchen designing. I have done quotes for refurbs where it has got really stupid on cost and sometimes trying to change what is there can create more problems than its worth. My suggestion would be to look more at flooring and wall finishes to create the change you would like.