Need help picking a paring knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Souschef

Sous Chef
I would like some suggestions for a good paring knife that stays sharp. The one I have is good for slicing avocados.:)

I absolutely love my new Victorinox chef's knife. They make paring knives, too. They start at around 12-bucks.

I don't know that I need one, but at 12-bucks, I may buy one anyway.

CD

Sous, I have two favorites (just like my two favorite kids ;) ). The first one is just like K-Girl's, except mine is about 10-12 years old. The second is a little, 2 1/2 inch bladed Rada knife. I use it to stem strawberries, peel aging mushrooms...lots of little jobs that are awkward for that larger Zwilling. It stays sharp. Rada may be a fundraiser knife, but I own three different ones and love them all.

I would like some suggestions for a good paring knife that stays sharp. The one I have is good for slicing avocados.:)

Like any knife it will have to be sharpened to keep it that way. I do agree that it seems smaller knives have to be sharpened more often. I keep a cheap draw through Wrenwane sharpener in my utensil drawer for this. It has 2 stages, so I can use the honing slot to keep the edge up between real sharpenings. It's fast, and does a good job on my smaller paring and utility knives.

81gRyWC82gL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a Rada paring knife, too. I don't like their bigger knives or their peelers--the handles are not comfortable to me, but the little bird beak is great. Stays sharp a long time, and if it gets too dull, they are cheap enough to toss and buy a new one.

Update to the story:
I ordered a nice 4 inch Henckels paring knife from Amazon for about $35, and is it a great knife. Its only minor drawback is the the handle is a little small for me.
Well, we were in Marshall's the other day, and I found a 3-1/2 inch Cuisinart paring knife with a bigger handle for $4.
So Kayelle gets to use the Henckels now:)

I have quite a few Rada knives. I think the first one I got was the paring knife and I love it. Has a beautiful curve to it. I do find when it has a good edge on it, it seems to keep for a long time, but that really depends on what you are using it for.

Keep in mind I also have many others, lately have gotten a couple of President's Choice - they also seem to keep their edge. BUT again, what you use them on or for. How comfortable it is in your hand is very much a part of it too.

Had an old sharpener with 3/4 wheels on either side which did wonders with knives. My dad was good with a steel, my BIL uses another knife (amazing to watch and they are sharp!), my mom used a stone and the multi-wheel, I started with the multi-wheel (which has disappeared) and now use a Rada single wheel. Does an amazing job.

I haven't seen a good paring knife for sale in awhile. I buy those cheap paring knives with paper thin blades on a plastic handle, 4 for a dollar. :LOL:

Some short paring knives with thicker blades are hard to keep sharp. Running them thru a hand held sharpener is difficult because the blades are so short. I mostly use a paring knife for butterflying and de-vaneing shrimp. My cheapo ones do OK for that, not much else tho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom