"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Need recommendations on a good pizza stone

My kids love that I bake pizza for them now. I've been baking it without a pizza stone but the crust does not brown like I would want it to. I know I need to invest in a pizza stone. Any suggestions on which one I should get? What brands are good out there?

Thanks in advance.

Dina

Old 06-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I've heard pretty good things about bakingstone.com but $60 for a 15 x 20 x 3/4" stone seems like a lot of money. A lot of people recommend unglazed quarry tiles. I think unglazed quarry tiles are a bit of gamble. Since they aren't made for cooking, sudden heat changes might cause them to chip or flake. If you really want to spend some bucks get a slab of soapstone. That seems to be the rolls royce of baking stones.

I went with fire brick, which is what's found in most wood burning ovens. Fire brick is hard to track down, big, unweildy and heavy, but it's one of the least expensive baking stone solutions while at the same time giving you some of the best results. I am a fanatic when it comes to recreating pizzeria pizza though. If you're just looking for something to play around with, bakingstone.com should be your best bet.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
MJ is the pizza expert here. Her should know the best Im guessing.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks Scott123. I'll check into it, but wasn't looking to spend too much money either. :?

I'll ask MJ about it also.

Dina
Old 06-02-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
If I want good, brown pizza, I go in my backyard and cook it in my wood fired pizza oven, but I do have A stone in my indoor oven.
I can't remember where I got my stone, but it cost me about $20.00.
If I have to replace my stone, I am definitly going with unglazed quarry. You could buy like 9 of them and but them up against each other, and have A huge cooking area in your oven. There only about $2.00 for A 1/2" deep 4'x4' tile. I think I'm gonna buy some anyway. I have heard very good things about unglazed quarry tile pizzas.
Some people use A screen for New York style pizza. The moisture will still escape the dough, making for A good crust.

Try adding some sugar when you make your dough to get it brown.
I think the most important thing is to CRANK up the oven. A stone needs to be preheated for at least 30-60 minutes. The digital controls on my oven only go to 550F, thats what I bake at.
Here is A site where people are VERY serious about pizza. They have some killer recipes, and they talk about anything that has to do with making A pizza

http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Here is A picture (link) of those unglazed quarry tiles. They seem to be tried and proven by some of the "home pros". When you click on the link, just scroll down aways to see the photo . They have an interesting discussion also.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/in...ay;threadid=99

Now you can make your own bread to!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

MJ,

You're the best! Thank you so much. I'm getting me some of those unglazed quarry tiles.

Dina
Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hey guys, I just bought one of those $7 stones from WalMart. Its a 16" Round stone about 3/8" thick. I preheated the stone at 500 for 1 hour. Then I put my homemade pizza on it and let it cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes For some reason, the crust did not cook at all!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I got a pizza stone as a wedding shower gift. I think it came from Williams Sonoma. I really love this stone, but I do not think I would have bought it on my own as unglazed quarry tile does just as good a job at a fraction of the cost.

scott123 mentioned that sudden heat changes might cause unglazed quarry stones to chip or flake and while this may be true keep in mind that your stones should not be going through and sudden heat changes. Keep your stone in the oven at all times. This way it will not be subjected to and sudden changes in temp. Also keeping your stone in the oven helps regulate the temp in the oven by adding more mass. This will improve the efficiency of your oven.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
scott123 mentioned that sudden heat changes might cause unglazed quarry stones to chip or flake and while this may be true keep in mind that your stones should not be going through and sudden heat changes.
Proofed (80 deg.) wet pizza dough being placed on a preheated 550 deg stone is a pretty sudden/drastic change. Just the act of making pizza exposes your stone to a decent amount of thermal shock.