"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

camp cookie i got the 10 and 1/4, the 8 and the 6 1/2 pre seasoned skillets. i used the 4 and 3 deal and got the lodge brush for free.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
camp cookie i got the 10 and 1/4, the 8 and the 6 1/2 pre seasoned skillets. i used the 4 and 3 deal and got the lodge brush for free.
You'll enjoy them. I had a 10.25 skillet that I bought sometime back, and we received a 12" skillet as a wedding present. I inherited a square skillet of unknown make from my grandmother, and I also received one of the corn stick pans as a gift.

A few months ago, I went to the nearby Lodge outlet and bought a set that contained a regular dutch oven, a 10.25" skillet, and 8" skillet, and a griddle. The lid from the ditch oven will fit the 10.25" skillet. I also found a lid in the seconds that would fit my 12" skillet. In addition, I bought a 10" deep camp oven (has legs and a rimmed lid for charcoal) and an 8" camp oven. The lids from the camps ovens will also fit the skillets. I made a second trip and bought a seconded 6" skillet. Lodge has just announced a 6" camp oven; so, I will probably pick up one of those so that I have another lid/skillet/oven combo. The camp oven lids can also be used as griddles.

I've picked up a few lid stands for the camp oven that also allow the skillets to be used over charcoal and/or stacked on top of a camp oven, and my wife gave me one of the chuck wagon dinner bells for Christmas.

On top of all of that stuff, my mother found skillet and griddle that belonged to her grandmother and gave them to me.

I guess you can say I caught a bad case of castironitis. :)

Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Luisfc1972,
Relative to your questions about the glue: "What doesn't kill you, will make you strong"
Don't know who said that, but I think is appropriate for this circumstance.
Is there a phone number or site where to get the location for the Lodge stores?
I checked their website unsusscessfully.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Luisfc1972,
Relative to your questions about the glue: "What doesn't kill you, will make you strong"
Don't know who said that, but I think is appropriate for this circumstance.
Is there a phone number or site where to get the location for the Lodge stores?
I checked their website unsusscessfully.
There is one in Commerce, GA. There is one in South Pittsburgh, TN, home of the Lodge factory, and the third one is in TN as well. I believe that it is in Seveirville, TN, home of Dollywood.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
camp cookie,
Thank you for the prompt reply, I wrote to Lodge last night and they beat you by a couple of hours LOL
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
camp cookie,
Thank you for the prompt reply, I wrote to Lodge last night and they beat you by a couple of hours LOL

Sure thing.

All I bough ton my trip to the Lodge outlet yesterday was a deep fry basket to fit my 5qt Dutch oven and a long handle bristle brush with a scraper on it.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
Cook

I have used cast iron skillets for 40 years...probably made enough cornbread to fill a battleship.
Here are my thoughts:
1. First, throw away the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Season (cure) the skillet (the proper way) regardless if it is pre-seasoned or not.
Here's how:
1. Coat the entire skillet inside and out (including handle) with cooking oil (corn oil works O.K.)
2. Place in oven upside down with oven set at lowest temp (put cookie sheet underneath to catch drippings).
3. Take out of oven when oil is sticky to touch all over. May take 10-20 minutes.
4. Turn oven temp up to 500 degrees and place skillet back in for 1 hour.
Note: It will smoke, so do this on a day when you can ventilate the kitchen
5. Check skillet surface for a hard SHINY glaze. Continue heating in oven if necessary until glaze is obtained.
6. Enjoy your new non-stick skillet.
Tip: If you have a thrift store near you, this is a great source for cast iron cookware. Usual cost only $2-$5. Age doesn't matter...cast iron is practically indestructible.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
Sous Chef

use solid fat to season castiron - not oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The initial seasoning will not make the pan non stick. That will come with time and fat. They more you use the pan the more non stick it will become. Fat is your friend with cast iron.
Solid fat (not oil) is the best seasoning for castiron. Our foremothers used castiron and they cooked with animal fat (especially lard).

At a minimum, pick up some Crisco. Better yet, collect fat from meat/poultry you purchase - chicken, pig or beef fat are all fine. Fat freezes well so just collect fat from one type in a ziplock bag (in your freezer). When you have a bunch, throw it, frozen, in your castiron pan and render it. Even if you throw out the rendered fat, this is the best (and easiest) way to season (or re-season) castiron.

If you don't know how to properly render fat, see this post Rendering Fat
Old 01-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

If you want to get good cast iron cookware almost free, check out yard sales. They generally come several in a set for very little money. Look for "estate" sales. I have given away dozens of cast iron items to those just starting out. Generally I purchased a box to get at one item that I wanted. I don't trust old cookware seasoning, and use soap, steel wool, and boiling salt water to bring out the old grease and start over. I don't understand pre-seasoned Lodge. Seasoning is acquired with use, and it is my understanding that you have to do that anyway. The new Lodge pans that I have seen do not have a polished interior. The ones that I acquired and used were difficult to clean due to the rough surface. Think that I will stick with my old ones.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'll just add in here that I LOVE my pre-seasoned Lodge 12" skillet. I gave it a brief scrub with a plastic scrub pad & a little soap before it's initial use, & it was still non-stick from first use, & has just gotten better - as expected - with each use.

I have other older Lodge pieces that I seasoned myself, but frankly, I can't find one thing that's not advantageous about using the new Lodge pre-seasoned pieces. It just speeds the seasoning process - the quality of the pieces remains the same.