New to Lodge pre-seasoned cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The process that Lodge uses to pre-season their cast iron is exactly the same thing you would do to season you pan at home just on a larger scale.

Cast Iron

I'm sorry to all you people. I still go back to my great grand mothers day that when they were done using their cast iron kettles and/or frying pans they would wash them with home made soap and hard water and set them on the cook stove to dry. After that they just put them away. Now to this day I still do it the same way except, I do not use home made soap nor do I have a cook stove. So therefore I just wash them in my soapy water and dry them on my stove top. None of them stick. I do however remember the little thingy I heard once on a cooking show, that to get your pan hot then add your oil get that hot then add what ever you are going to fry.
(ie) hot pan cold oil It really works. Good Luck

I just rinse mine in very hot water (I use rubber gloves so I can stand hotter temps) and scrub the "chunks" and food that did manage to stick with a scotch-brite pad (no metal pads) until smooth. I never use soap! I then heat it on the stove to dry and occasionally rub on a little bacon grease with a paper towel while it's still warm. I've founbd that using the vegatable oil that Lodge recommends makes the surface sticky. You can't beat cast iron for cooking!!!

If you want to get good cast iron cookware almost free, check out yard sales. They generally come several in a set for very little money. Look for "estate" sales. I have given away dozens of cast iron items to those just starting out. Generally I purchased a box to get at one item that I wanted. I don't trust old cookware seasoning, and use soap, steel wool, and boiling salt water to bring out the old grease and start over. I don't understand pre-seasoned Lodge. Seasoning is acquired with use, and it is my understanding that you have to do that anyway. The new Lodge pans that I have seen do not have a polished interior. The ones that I acquired and used were difficult to clean due to the rough surface. Think that I will stick with my old ones.

I had an old cast iron pan that was cleaned and reseasoned a LOT! I would use 1000 grit emory cloth on it and eventually it took on a smooth glasslike finish. I didn't have to season it after awhile, nothing stuck because it was so smooth!

Someone gave me a differant cast iron skillet, one with a rough surface, and it did not impress me. I was going to sell it at a yard sale and I think I sold the wrong one, I cannot find my smooth one, only the rough one.

I would like another cast iron skillet but do not buy into the "seasoned" koolaid. I wonder if I could get take a sander to a non seasoned one and speed up the wear.

I can't believe I lost my cast iron skillet! :( I don't live alone so maybe it wasn't me.

What pieces did you get? Thankfully, I have a Lodge outlet store about 30 minutes from me to feed my cast iron cravings. It has some remarkable deals on factory seconds that cook just as good as the "first" and have more character to boot. :)

------
Some seasoning info that is better than what comes from the factory:

www.camp-cook.com :: View topic - Dutch Oven - Basic Technique

Cast Iron

If this is not too personal, could you tell me if this outlet is very far from Marietta Georgia? My niece lives there and I would like to ask a favor of her regarding buying some new cooking utensils? Right now, I have mostly pots and pans from ex MIL and they have the cooper bottoms. I am so so tired of using them. Also her dishes, her silverware, etc. Maybe you can understand why I would like to get something different. New things are always improvement or should be.

Thank for your time.

I did and it worked for me.
That is what I did. Took my random orbit sander to a double burner griddle, made it a lot better, but not as good as if it had been done properly at the factory. I prefer the older cast iron, and there is a lot of it available used.

Pre-seasoned CI does require a hot water rinse before cooking like everyone says. With my collection of pans, new & old, I always put the oil in first then cook/bake the dish.
When it comes to cleaning I clean with hot water & a lodge bristle brush unless I have a food in the pan that needs soaking. I use EVOO when I cook unless its bacon I'm frying.

Now why would the fine people at Lodge tell us that the CI skillet is already seasoned if it still needs to be seasoned after you purchase it?

I cooked an 1 1/3 inch tuna steak on my brand new CI two minutes after peeling the label and rinsing it with water. No sticking at all and a darn good tuna steak too.

I did however, use a bit of olive oil on the steak thou.....:blush:

I did however, use a bit of olive oil on the steak thou.....:blush:
And that is why it did not stick.

Seasoning is something that takes time. The pre-seasoned pans jsut take care of the initial seasoning. You need to continue seasoning it (by using it) if you want it to become truly non-stick.

And that is why it did not stick.

Seasoning is something that takes time. The pre-seasoned pans jsut take care of the initial seasoning. You need to continue seasoning it (by using it) if you want it to become truly non-stick.

So after a good amount of use, one wouldn't need to use any oil to make it not stick? I have always used oil when cooking in pans......this will take some getting use to.

One more thing, do you think searing is obtained more by way of the CI skillet or a stainless steel pan? Take a beef steak for instance.

Technically, yes that is correct. After enough time and cooking with enough fat your pan should be seasoned enough that you would not need to add any oil, but you usually want a little fat in there anyway.

I was watching Americas Test Kitchen the other day and they did a piece on cast iron. To prove that they really are non-stick they made scrambled eggs in a well seasoned cast iron pan with no additional fat. The eggs slid right out without sticking at all.

For searing, both cast iron and SS work great. I would say it is a little easier to get a good sear using CI, but it is pretty easy on SS too.

Technically, yes that is correct. After enough time and cooking with enough fat your pan should be seasoned enough that you would not need to add any oil, but you usually want a little fat in there anyway.

I was watching Americas Test Kitchen the other day and they did a piece on cast iron. To prove that they really are non-stick they made scrambled eggs in a well seasoned cast iron pan with no additional fat. The eggs slid right out without sticking at all.

For searing, both cast iron and SS work great. I would say it is a little easier to get a good sear using CI, but it is pretty easy on SS too.

So would you cook your favorite steak in a CI or SS?
You need to pick one ! :)

My steak, when not cooked on the grill, always goes in my CI. I preheat the pan as hot as it will go. The pan sucks up and holds onto that heat so well that I get a great sear on the meat. SS can absolutely do the same, but CI just does it better.

Cast Iron - hands down!! The only things I cook in my stainless steel cookware are dishes that are going to be "saucy". For searing/grilling like plain steaks, chops, etc., nothing beats my well-seasoned regular cast-iron pan or cast-iron grill pan.:)

Solid fat (not oil) is the best seasoning for castiron. Our foremothers used castiron and they cooked with animal fat (especially lard).

At a minimum, pick up some Crisco. Better yet, collect fat from meat/poultry you purchase - chicken, pig or beef fat are all fine. Fat freezes well so just collect fat from one type in a ziplock bag (in your freezer). When you have a bunch, throw it, frozen, in your castiron pan and render it. Even if you throw out the rendered fat, this is the best (and easiest) way to season (or re-season) castiron.

If you don't know how to properly render fat, see this post Rendering Fat

I agree. Iuse lard or bacon fat.

LARD!

My latest endeavors in CI seasoning (will update on progress soon) are definitely leaning me toward lard. before I had used Crisco... I find the lard gives a much nicer seasoning... more even and more stable.... I am not going back to crisco.

The oils really never worked out all that great either. Lard is the one that gave me a real solid seasoning that did not end up getting damaged easily.

I do give a light rub down of oil after use though.

After cooking with cast iron, its hard to go back to anything else! Most of my pieces have been handed down to me from family members. I did buy my dutch oven and I love it. I will never cook by crock pot again. I think my next piece will be an enamal dutch oven.

Back
Top Bottom