"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Andy, do you think because of the metal against metal it would cause uneven cooling using the quick cooling method which could cause warping? I've always had a rubber gasket...
Pressure cookers I've seen and/or used all have a rubber gasket of some kind. I don't think a metal to metal contact would be a problem.

Pressure cooker metal is fairly heavy and not a brittle metal that would crack due to the type of thermal shock a water bath would provide. Assuming the pot has significant liquid in it, the temperature of the metal is only 212 F. If you hit it with 40F water from tyhe tap, that's a rapid temp change of 172 F. I can't imagine that would be a problem.

Thirty years ago, when I used a pressure cooker, I regularly cooled it quickly in the sink with cold water. That pressure cooker had two pressure release valves that would prevent any excess pressure problems.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You mean it won't do like my cookie sheet did when I stuck it under cold water to make my next batch of cookies That cookie sheet will NEVER be the same :-(

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

LOL! That cookie sheet will never lie flat again!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Assuming the pot has significant liquid in it, the temperature of the metal is only 212 F.
The purpose of a pressure cooker is to increase the pressure inside the pressure vessel to increase the boiling point of the liquid. At 15 psi, the pressure is equal to approximately 2 atmospheres. The boiling point of water at 2 atmospheres is approximately 248 degrees F. or 120 degrees C.

The metal of the pressure vessel could be as high as 248 degrees F.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
The purpose of a pressure cooker is to increase the pressure inside the pressure vessel to increase the boiling point of the liquid. At 15 psi, the pressure is equal to approximately 2 atmospheres. The boiling point of water at 2 atmospheres is approximately 248 degrees F. or 120 degrees C.

The metal of the pressure vessel could be as high as 248 degrees F.

You are correct. My mistake. Thanks for keeping me honest.

However, I still feel the PC's metal can take the shock, even at the higher temperatures.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #16
Master Chef

My feelings are:

(1) Above all else - READ AND FOLLOW the instructions that come with your pressure cooker - using it and what you cook in it. Not all pressure cookers are made the same ... what you might be able to get away with doing in one might not work in another.

(2) Unless your pressure cooker instructions specifically say you can rapid cool with cool/cold running water - DON'T do it. It's not about the pot exploding - it's about warping the metal so that it may not seal properly again. Read the "exclusions" in your warranty ...

(3) It just doesn't make any sense to try to cook everything in a pressure cooker - like rice, pasta, etc.

Some of the new pressure cookers have a "quick" pressure release feature. If you want that capability - get one of them.

For some "generic" pressure cooker recipes ... you might browse around here.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo
I received a beautiful All American Pressure Cooker for Christmas. I've wanted one for a looooong time. This is my first pressure cooker - the recipes in the instruction book seem dated - one calls for a stewing chicken - I've not seen those in years and years!

Anybody got any yummy recipes they'd like to share? I'm thinking about a maiden voyage of Corned beef and Cabbage - beyond that I'm open! TIA

I've got a 6-qt. stainless steel Fagor pressure cooker that has served me well for several years now. It has a cross bar with a large knob that locks the bar in 2 brackets mounted on the sides.

So far, I've only used it for pinto beans and collard greens.

Wow, MJ! I never cooked BBQ'd ribs in mine, but my mother used to do BBQ'd pigs feet in hers.

~Corey123.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123

Wow, MJ! I never cooked BBQ'd ribs in mine, but my mother used to do BBQ'd pigs feet in hers.

~Corey123.
Ribs totally rock when cooked in a pressure cooker! I would have never bought a pressure cooker - but Kitchenelf talked me into it. There are so many great recipes that can be made in one. I have two, but I am VERY happy with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Yeah, I noticed that the one in the pic above has a pressure gauge on the cover. Not too many of them come with that now. Mine is at http://pro-selections.com/ .

In the '70's, I once had a big monster Presto cooker / canner that had the gauge on it. I think they still make those.

Yeah, I imagine that you can still get that same fall-off-the-bone goodness that you'd get when you slow cook them in the oven and in my Rival BBQ Pit.

But when I do ribs, fresh pork shoulder and poultry and beef brisket, I like to cook them without the sauce first, then brush it on during the last 1/2 hour of cooking.

Or I just leave the meat nice & dry and dip pieces of it in warm BBQ sauce.

~Corey123.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Try Epicurious for 2 great recipes...one is

Beef Short Ribs with Asian Flavors and the other is Chicken Curry-Coconut Soup...I've made the rib recipe twice and it is fabulous..but do brown the ribs before proceeding with recipe and if you leave the prunes out, the recipe still comes out beautifully.