"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Nine Essential Pots and Pans - Agree or Not

I happen to have all these covered. Some get used more than others.

What do you think?

9 Essential Pots and Pans | Serious Eats

Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have them all and, as you said, some get used more than others, especially since I most often cook for two.

I still have the stock pot I had when all the children (8) were around. It's big enough to house a small family. I also have a smaller more-reasonable one that is my go-to pot for larger quantities of soups and such.

Have lots of cast iron skillets. One solely for cornbread. Other pieces are grill pans, novelty muffin/corn stick pans the grandchildren get a kick out of. A few years ago on one of our trips we went to the Lodge outlet and I had to restrain myself. Like Toys R Us for a foodie. Some of the cast iron is over 100-years-old and, not surprisingly, it's well-seasoned.

When it comes to casseroles, primarily rectangular ones, I have multiple sizes. Again, it depends on how many I'm serving and if I choose to use the toaster oven.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Head Chef

Yup.... Even after downsizing I have these... (every room was easy to get rid of stuff except my kitchen)

Most used for stove/oven now;

3 sizes CI fry pans
2 sizes teflon pans
3 and 5qt pots

The rest are 'there if I need them.. Baking is a different list.....

Ross
Old 08-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I agree with the list and they are the most used in my kitchen.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Master Chef

I have all of those and then some, but the handiest pan I ever owned was an 'everything' pan with a glass lid. It was truly an everything pan and you could pretty much cook anything in it, whether on top of the stove or in the oven.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

I have each of those, minus the wok, but I seem to start a kitchen from scratch every few years. That collection looks ok for a kitchen serving 4 or so and for, at least, a semi-experienced cook. I'm guessing this thread would appeal most to folks just getting started. For one or two people you don't need that many large frying pans. And every kitchen needs a small pot, like 1 1/2 quarts.

I find the handiest skillet for one is an 8" cast iron. That and a 10" ss is virtually all I ever need. My 12" pans are never used. A 6" cast iron that fits in the toaster oven isn't necessary but is sure nice to have.

My big stockpot/spaghetti cooker never gets used. Neither does the cast iron dutch oven. A 3 1/2 quart pot is big enough for soups, stews and even stock most of the time and the 5 or 6 qt enameled dutch oven will do the trick on the rare occasion that 3 1/2 quart isn't enough.

A 12-Inch Straight-Sided Sauté Pan is nice but a good one is pretty expensive and a cheap one is worse than nothing. A single person or a young couple on a budget would be better off frying chicken in the enameled iron pot and investing in something else.

Anyway, these are just a few thoughts for the young and inexperienced that stumble onto this. The active members on this forum don't need my advice and I'm not going to argue over any of it.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I have all of those and then some, but the handiest pan I ever owned was an 'everything' pan with a glass lid. It was truly an everything pan and you could pretty much cook anything in it, whether on top of the stove or in the oven.
I have one similar and it gets a lot of use in my kitchen!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That's a great list and I have them all, and a few more.

If someone was just starting out, that's a good list. I'd also suggest getting duplicates of a few most used pans like a large saucepan and dutch oven, those will be very useful when making holiday dinners.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
Head Chef

One day I plan to get the wok and a non-stick pan, but the Dutch oven is just too expensive. Other than that, I'd like to have a 1 qt, 2 qt and 3 qt covered sauce pans (personally they can all be sauciers so I don't have to clean out the edges), a 4 qt covered saute pan, and a couple fry pans in two sizes. I don't need a stock pot or a cast iron pan. I think the cast iron is just too heave a pan for me - I doubt I'd use it all that much. I'd also like one tiny pot to just melt butter or chocolate in. I used a little camping pot for that for a long time, but finally had to get rid of it.

The casserole dish I had might have been nice to cook in, but it was hell to clean. Mine was white and every time I cooked a chicken in it, the brown grease spots were impossible to get out. I don't mind a casserole dish for casseroles, but for cooking meats I'd rather have a small broiler. With a cover.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have all of those except the 12-Inch Straight-Sided Sauté Pan. I used to have one, but never used it. I use the wok very little, but it is nice to have.

So, I pretty much agree with the list. I could get by with just those items -- maybe even a few less.

I also agree that old CI is smoother than new stuff. My antique Griswold CI is as smooth a stainless pan. It makes a big difference to me.

CD