"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
Executive Chef

One Hit Wonders

So, I recently had the pleasure of having to clean out my basement so I could store more crap that I seem to keep accumulating. While doing this I came across a bunch of kitchen appliances, gadgets... which seemed like a good idea at the time, but were used once, maybe twice, and ultimately found their way into the Kitchen appliance/gadget graveyard in my basement.

So, my question is, what kitchen appliance/ gadgets have you bought in the past, thats seemed like a great idea at the time, but have gotten minimal to no use, and ultimately shoved aside, never to be used again ??

Im not talking about a crappy gift someone got you, but more something that you thought you would really use and it just didnt live up to the thrill you thought you would get. Possibly because it didnt work as well as you like, not worth the effort to set up/ clean up, can do it better with what you already had....

So, the few things I've found so far ( keep in mind Im not anywhere close to having the basement cleaned) would be:

Quesadila Maker
Grilled Cheese Sandwich maker
Flatbread ( tortilla, indian puffed bread.....)
Waffle Maker

The above are all basically nonstick presses that make the affiliated item. All worked pretty well, but none are kept in the kitchen cabinets or counters. Therefore, I have to schlep downstairs, find it, clean it ( cause its been in the basement so long), Schlep it stairs.....

Crockpot/ Slow cooker

As discussed in other threads, Im more of an active cook. I understand the benefits and can see how it makes peoples lives easier. In my case, its impossible for me to leave something in a pot without constantly stirring, tasting, tweaking ... Its like torture for me to walk by a pot and not touch it in one way or another.

Bread Machine

This we used frequently, years ago. I guess the thrill is gone. Also, me having to watch my carbs may have a little to do with it

Air fryer ( not sure exact name).

My wife bought it for me as a present. The first thing she made was breaded, 'fried' zucchini. They tasted great, and cooked in about 10 minutes. We were both surprised by how well it worked. So I asked for more to snack on and she said, thats it. It only can cook like 4- 6 pieces at a time. Now keep in mind we have the bigger , more expensive one. So, it worked well, but to make a substantial amount for dinner purposes was not practical.

Meat slicer .

Yep, you heard me right. A vegetarian with a meat slicer. Ill explain. My wife makes the best eggplant parm. The reason its so good is because the eggplant is cut thinly, evenly and consistent , allowing the breadcrumb to eggplant ratio to be perfect. So, what better way to do this than get a meat slicer. Worked great. No complaints about the machine. But, for as often as we have it, a knife with a little patience works almost as good ( the machine is more consistent , but not enough to go digging for the machine, have to clean it, and then restore it again in the dungeon).

Vegetable/ fruit juicer

Works fine, just more trouble than its worth ( plus, I always forget that I have it, until I go in the basement to get something else and notice it on the shelf). I guess if I really wanted to use it, Id remember it .

There are probably others that are buried even deeper in the dungeon. Ill add as I come across them.

There are a few things that dont get much use, but I do look forward to using them when I get the chance. Some of them are seasonal items. Others are just once in awhile items. So these , although not used often, I look forward to using them every time, and wouldn't be on the above list.

Apple cider press
Ebelskiver pan
Ice cream maker
Pasta maker ( hand cranked)

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Master Chef

Is the grilled sandwich maker a panni press? Both the meat slicer and waffle maker are within easy reach in our kitchen and our hand crank pasta maker still gets good use. Don't see the need to get an attachment for the KA.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Master Chef

That sounds about right..I have a few we rarely use, also..I use a juicer quite often as I experience gerd, due to a hiatus hernia. when I get a flare up I drink cabbage juice, of all things. It really works..so it is used for medicinal purposes.
I feel the same way about slow cookers..I think it destroys all flavor and texture of meats. Sure, food is edible, but there are other things to eat and ways to cook them...
Bread machines take away the fun of baking bread..I love the experience of the steps required to make bread..the interaction with the dough, etc. the anticipation.so rewarding.
Grilled cheese sandwich maker/panini press..my mothers technique of pressing things down with another cast iron pan or the kettle full of water still stands the test of time...
I like our waffle maker, although we rarely use it..I'm more of a savory type of breakfast eater..give me eggs and sausages if I have the time...
I could go on..but I have to use my espresso machine..now, that thing sees a lot of action..

Roch
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We don't have many single purpose appliances around. The few exceptions are a Belgian waffle maker, an electric tea kettle and a pizzelle maker. SO came to the relationship with two crockpots. We gave one away and keep the other for food warming purposes at buffets (which we don't do much of any more.)

We also have an ice cream maker in the basement but that gets used.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
So, I recently had the pleasure of having to clean out my basement so I could store more crap that I seem to keep accumulating. While doing this I came across a bunch of kitchen appliances, gadgets... which seemed like a good idea at the time, but were used once, maybe twice, and ultimately found their way into the Kitchen appliance/gadget graveyard in my basement.

So, my question is, what kitchen appliance/ gadgets have you bought in the past, thats seemed like a great idea at the time, but have gotten minimal to no use, and ultimately shoved aside, never to be used again ??

Im not talking about a crappy gift someone got you, but more something that you thought you would really use and it just didnt live up to the thrill you thought you would get. Possibly because it didnt work as well as you like, not worth the effort to set up/ clean up, can do it better with what you already had....

So, the few things I've found so far ( keep in mind Im not anywhere close to having the basement cleaned) would be:

Quesadila Maker
Grilled Cheese Sandwich maker
Flatbread ( tortilla, indian puffed bread.....)
Waffle Maker

The above are all basically nonstick presses that make the affiliated item. All worked pretty well, but none are kept in the kitchen cabinets or counters. Therefore, I have to schlep downstairs, find it, clean it ( cause its been in the basement so long), Schlep it stairs.....

Crockpot/ Slow cooker

As discussed in other threads, Im more of an active cook. I understand the benefits and can see how it makes peoples lives easier. In my case, its impossible for me to leave something in a pot without constantly stirring, tasting, tweaking ... Its like torture for me to walk by a pot and not touch it in one way or another.

Bread Machine

This we used frequently, years ago. I guess the thrill is gone. Also, me having to watch my carbs may have a little to do with it

Air fryer ( not sure exact name).

My wife bought it for me as a present. The first thing she made was breaded, 'fried' zucchini. They tasted great, and cooked in about 10 minutes. We were both surprised by how well it worked. So I asked for more to snack on and she said, thats it. It only can cook like 4- 6 pieces at a time. Now keep in mind we have the bigger , more expensive one. So, it worked well, but to make a substantial amount for dinner purposes was not practical.

Meat slicer .

Yep, you heard me right. A vegetarian with a meat slicer. Ill explain. My wife makes the best eggplant parm. The reason its so good is because the eggplant is cut thinly, evenly and consistent , allowing the breadcrumb to eggplant ratio to be perfect. So, what better way to do this than get a meat slicer. Worked great. No complaints about the machine. But, for as often as we have it, a knife with a little patience works almost as good ( the machine is more consistent , but not enough to go digging for the machine, have to clean it, and then restore it again in the dungeon).

Vegetable/ fruit juicer

Works fine, just more trouble than its worth ( plus, I always forget that I have it, until I go in the basement to get something else and notice it on the shelf). I guess if I really wanted to use it, Id remember it .

There are probably others that are buried even deeper in the dungeon. Ill add as I come across them.

There are a few things that dont get much use, but I do look forward to using them when I get the chance. Some of them are seasonal items. Others are just once in awhile items. So these , although not used often, I look forward to using them every time, and wouldn't be on the above list.

Apple cider press
Ebelskiver pan
Ice cream maker
Pasta maker ( hand cranked)
I'm with you on the bread maker - invention of the devil.

I was a competent bread maker before I was persuaded by one of Father Christmas's elves, that a bread maker would make my life easier. Fat chance! The damn thing "did what it said on the tin" but made vile bread. All about speed not quality and flavour. Eventually I gave it away to some poor sap who thought it would be wonderful to have one ......I warned her, I really did!

Not so the ice cream maker. I have two and they are used regularly in summer and for dinner party desserts and sorbets in winter. Their "buckets" are kept permanently in the freezer.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
Executive Chef

We don't have basements in North Texas -- or most of Texas (and Oklahoma), actually. Yeah, Tornado Alley, and no basements. Go figure.

A lot of folks here fill their garages with crap they don't use, and park their cars outside. That dog wont hunt in my world. My cars NEVER spend the night outside, if I am home.

So, not much room to store unused stuff. If I don't use it for one year, it goes to eBay or the thrift store.

Now, I'd be willing to take that meat slicer off your hands, and pay the postage, if it is getting in your way.

CD
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Is the grilled sandwich maker a panni press? Both the meat slicer and waffle maker are within easy reach in our kitchen and our hand crank pasta maker still gets good use. Don't see the need to get an attachment for the KA.
The grilled cheesemaker literally is just that. Its the size of about a piece of white bread. Even has a built in diagonal slicer, so after the sandwich is done cooking and you open it up, it is slide in 1/2 ( diagonally) and ready to go.

I do have a panini maker which i do use quite frequently. But in this case, 2 separate items.

I actually want to upgrade my panini maker to one that is a little bigger and a little more professional. The one I have now is good, but im ready to move to the next level, and since I use it frequently , I dont have a problem upgrading.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Soooo, what about that meat slicer.

CD
Old 10-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #9
Head Chef

The stuff I have is the stuff I use, might not use them often but I use them enough to keep them.
I have raclette machine we use a few times a year and that is it, but I wouldnt part with it, it easy to have at hand when guest appears out of nowhere and you need a nice dinner.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have a lot of kitchen stuff, but I've mostly avoided single use appliances, so everything gets used. My full sized Cuisinart food processor doesn't get used very often, as it's a PITA to clean. The mini chopper is a lot easier to clean, and I'll process two batches instead of pulling out the big one. The mandoline isn't used as much as I thought when I bought it, but still gets occasional use. I usually only cook for two, so a little extra time with the knife is often the easiest way to go.

On the flip side, the rice cooker gets more use than I thought. We eat a lot more brown rice now, as the rice cooker does such a good job without any effort. There are a couple of other rice sides that are so much easier and convenient with the rice cooker.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote