Opened a can of coconut milk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaicooking

Senior Cook
I just opened a can of coconut milk, but I used it just some..How can I keep the rest? I afraid it's going to be spoiled soon. :( How long can I keep it? Anyone knows?? Please!!

you can put it in a sealable container in the fridge for serveral days. You can freeze it. THe fats will separate but can be reincorporated when you thaw it.

Coconut milk is great if you want to make a soup. I tried it once and it really tastes delicious.

How could I forget Pina Coladas? :)

But a coconut milk soup, with tomatoes & chili is really fine as well.

Freeze it! lilsarah had it right, though. Take a can of chicken broth, add it to the coconut milk, then add your favorite vegetables and thinly slice a chicken breast or toss in some frozen shrimp or whatever. Add any great fresh herbs you have, and if you like it hot, a chopped chili or some dried chili flakes. Voila! You now have a truly great soup. If you have friends who are totally vegetarian, use veg "stock" (don't like the term, but I'm a bit of a stickler), and the vegetables, and steam some rice (for this I'd use basmati or jasmine, but, really, most won't notice), put a scoop in the middle of the bowl, pour the coconut broth with vegs over it, and you have a gourmet meal! Go for it

Oh, pina coladas are generally made with what is called coconut creme (yea, in another life I was a bartender), not coconut milk. You'd have to add a lot of sugar to make pina coladas from the cooking form of coconut as opposed to the drinks and deserts oriented canned product.

I freeze it flat in a ziplock bag. That way I can break off pieces if I just need a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom