Pastry and Baking Basics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since no one else has even attempted to start a list of basics for you, i'll at least start it off. but before the equipment list, i'd suggest that you start baking these:
- cookies: hard to make any major blunders except burning
- quick breads, for example, muffins, banana bread, biscuits,etc.
- bread: a great loaf can be hard to master, but a pretty darn good loaf isn't that hard at all
- pies: more specificly, pie crust. a good short crust takes a lot of technique. might as well start getting some practice now.

equipment:
for measuring: measuring cups, both wet and dry;measuring spoons; when you get more advanced, you'll probably also want a kitchen scale someday.

for mixing: mixing bowls (full range of sizes), if possible 1 or 2 larger sizes that are deep; wooden spoons, rubber spatula, whisk

pans: baking sheet, 2 loaf pans, muffin tins or pan, pie pan, cake pans (usually need 2) (later add spring-form pan and quiche pan)

other: rolling pin, pastry cutter, scraper(dough divider), brush, sifter or sieve, biscuit cutter

well, as i'm short on time at the moment, i'll leave the list at this, though i'm probably forgetting an essential or two. it should get you off to a good start though. good luck!
icon12.gif

Last edited:
I think the most basic thing you need is a mixing bowl, a flat baking pan, a cake pan and muffin pan. You can use a tea towel instead of a mitten, baking paper makes cleaning a lot easier. Scales are more important when you start using raising agents (bread, cake). Too little or too much may be disasterous.

Back
Top Bottom