"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 07-25-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pastry and Baking Basics

Hi, I'm new to the world of pastries and breads.
I'm only a 16 year old guy but I'm incredibly intrigued by the whole aspect of making delicious and beautiful pastries. I was wondering if anyone could list off the basic "tools" I would need to take my first few steps into baking. My family kitchen isn't equipped with anything baking-related(except for the obvious-oven,baking tray,casserole) so I need to equip it properly.
Thanks for you time and help.

P.S. It would also be great if you could suggest easy ideas that I could try as my first experiments.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
Wellcome DiscussCooking Swifty!!!

Every question like yours make me researcher. Here is a link for you... Not exact answer maybe but DC is full of good chefs :).

http://www.fbnr.com/ECguide/ECGhtml/84520.htm

Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks alot!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

You could also consider working part time at a small bakery even if its just washing dishes and before you know it you will be learning all kinds of things plus you earn as you learn they may start you small baking cookies but you will learn alot about weights and meashures and if you pick it up quickly which you should be able to do since you find it interesting next thing you know you will be taking on more and more to learn.Thats how I learned, of course I had some experience from starting out making simple things at home,cookies,poundcake,quick breads etc.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

The first three things you need are: a library card, a good librarian, and transportation to the library. Tell the librarian you're looking for beginner level books on bread and pastries and she/he can help you find something to get you started. Or, if your Mom has any cookbooks - try starting with them.

Once you do some reading and figure out what you want to try first (which type of bread or which type of pastry) then you'll have an idea of what kitchen equipment you need to start with.

jpmcgrew had a great idea since you're getting to the age of getting a part-time job .... even if it's just for the summer. Nothing beats "hands on" experience from someone who can teach you.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I was actually planning on trying to get a job at our local bakery. Thanks for the great ideas.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

Good luck at the job, Swifty!
I absolutely agree with all of the above posts. There is nothing better than hands-on training!
You may also want to check the food network's listings and see when any of the chefs have a show devoted specifically to breads and pastries.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Yeah I'm really hoping for that job...I'm not sure though becuase I don't nkow if they will be mislead by my muscular frame and Korean heritage(I live in small town in Canada, my family is the only asian family here).
Hoping for the best.
I watch Food network everyday
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Swifty, best advice I can give you is what I did myself when I found jobs. Whether a place was hiring or not, I'd go there, make an appointment with the owner at a later time, when it was convenient with them. I'd shake their hand, look them in the eye, sincerely thank them for their time and tell them why I so passionately wanted to work at their establishment. It never failed.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
This is really good point!!! Let them feel your pattionate :)...