"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Cook

thanks mudbug! i'm so glad i don't have to scrub the pan out cos my husband already thinks i fuss over the pan too much and threatens to throw it in the bin! lol

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
What about metal utensils?

G23, you mentioned a “factory seasoning”? So you didn’t season this one yourself? I’ve never worked with a pre-seasoned pan, so perhaps metal utensil could chip that seasoning?

Also, just to be sure, you never use soap to clean it right?

Either way, the pan looks fine. I’d run it through the oven a few times as if I were seasoning it for the first time, and then continue to use as normal.
hmmm. i have been using a metal spatula for the last month or so cos i read somewhere that using metal sometimes roundoff the seasoning and evens it out. i did season it again in the oven for second time that's why i thought
metal would be fine on it and because of second seasoning didn't think my pan would start peeling so soon

and no never soap just hot water and one time with salt and rinsed well

Old 07-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Mine is a very old pan that I have not been nice to, but it has me. There are times I have soak it in soap in water - and it rusted, and had to s o s it out! Very forgiving pan, my buddy,-- trying to be better to him though.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
g23,
As a quick and dirty test, get some water in your pan and heat it up to the point of boiling. If after cooling off, the water tastes metalic, the pan probably needs re-seasoning.
One additional tip: after cleaning and rubbing oil/shortening, leave a paper napkin on, specially if other pan will be stored on top. The paper will prevent scratching and will also absorb any humidity.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I have a rather stupid question.
What is "seasoning a pan"?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom
Rom, Cast Iron pans like this need to be coated with fat, and have the fat "baked on". This "seasoning" seals the metal away from contact with air, liquids, acids, etc. It also makes the surface of the pan non-stick. The quality of the "seasoning" is a direct function of the thickness of the material that's been cooked onto the pan. The thicker the seasoning, the more corrosion-resistant the pan is, and the more "non-stick" the surface will be.

Pans / metals that need to be seasoned:
Cast Iron
Plain Steel

Pans / metals that do NOT need to be seasoned:
Stainless steel
Teflon-coated (nonstick)

I'm not sure about copper, tin, or aluminum, as I don't use any of those at home. I do use some aluminum at work, and we don't season that.

g23, something else I thought of. How big is this pan, and how big is the burner you're using it on. The pan I have problems with is a 12 inch (30 cm), and my biggest burner is not that big. I think I have problems with the seasoning around the edge of my pan simply because when I do season it, the edges don't get as hot as the center of the pan. The only cure for this is to get the pan screaming hot (rolling smoke), then rub it down with shortening, as well as frequently baking the shortening onto the pan in the oven. The first option is not that viable, as my other half is asthmatic.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom
No question is stupid. Check out here for tips on seasoning cast iron. Also, if you put the phrase - season cast iron - into a Google search you will come up with lots of reading material.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #18
Sous Chef

thx for that AllenOK and kitchenelf :)
i have never known anyone to do that :)
My mum uses stainless seel and non stick stuff, no iron stuff. i think the only thing i have that is iron is a tawa/tava (sp) to make flat breads (my bf is indian)

might go season it tonight :)
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
g23,
As a quick and dirty test, get some water in your pan and heat it up to the point of boiling. If after cooling off, the water tastes metalic, the pan probably needs re-seasoning.

good idea! i didn't think of that
Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Rom,

g23, something else I thought of. How big is this pan, and how big is the burner you're using it on. The pan I have problems with is a 12 inch (30 cm), and my biggest burner is not that big. .
hi allen, my pan is 12 inch and yes my glass top ring is not quite big enough so i can actually see a ring on my pan where the electric ring is . yes i think i will have to do as you suggested and season it every now and then in the oven to build up the seasoning again.