"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Cook

Plastic Storage Containers

When we moved, mum took the opportunity to clear out her tupperware cupboard. We got all the mismatched and useless pieces, and I threw most of them out because there weren't much use.

I'm trying to build up a good pantry, but don't have anything to store open stocks in. I've bought cheap plastic boxes from the local Coles, and I've stacked them up in the bottom of the pantry full of lentils and arborio rice, spiral pasta, sugar and corn flour.

The problem is that the pantry is about 3 layers deep of boxes. There's not much storage space in the rest of the pantry, and I'm basically out of room. It's hard to get things out, and it's hard to organize them.

It's also difficult to store the containers when they're empty. By their nature, they're bulky and take up space.

How do you guys manage plastic storage? How do you manage it when it's empty, and full, how do you select pieces and ranges, what features do you look for?

Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I store some things in glass jars such as mayo jars--barley, brown sugar. For rice and pastas I don't transfer to other containers--just in their boxes, so that when they are done, they are thrown out or replaced. Particularly pasta--I have several different types and just leave them in their package on the shelf.
I would not transfer to containers anything except flour and sugar (they are in big containers on my counter)--or something else that I use so often that it is never going to be empty.
If you have stored something in your container, why aren't you replenishing it?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Tupperware is now sold in stores such as Target, and also at kiosks in shopping malls.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I prefer square containers because I feel they make better use of space v.s. round containers. I have two rather large drawers - one I use for the containers (in fitted stacks) and one drawer for the tops. About once a year I empty the drawers and toss in the recycling bin those containers that are cracking and those that "topless" or "bottomless".
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Cook

Candocook I'm not sure what you mean about replenishing... I usually only use the containers for stuff that comes in 'sacks', like rice, lentils, sugar and such.

I replenish stocks once previous stock is used, to keep everything 'fresh'... For staples it matters little, but this avoids any possible problems.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Head Chef

I am a storage box hoarder, I have faw more than I ever use at one time and I make lots of use of them. I agree that often square boxes are more useful, particularly in a full fridge. For the larder, tall thinner, rectangular ones, often with a pouring spout are best for things that come in little bags as they can easily be taken of the shelf and stack like books, side by side. I stack mine inside each other like Russian dolls when not in use. and have the stacks inside the biggest ones, which in my house are pretty big.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadlex
Candocook I'm not sure what you mean about replenishing... I usually only use the containers for stuff that comes in 'sacks', like rice, lentils, sugar and such.

I replenish stocks once previous stock is used, to keep everything 'fresh'... For staples it matters little, but this avoids any possible problems.
You mentioned that the empties are hard to store. I store rice in its box or in a glass jar. If I empty I refill it. I guess I don't understand your problem.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Master Chef

For the pantry I use Tupperware modular mates. They are great for fitting in spaces and shelves. I use them for flour, sugar (brown, white, powdered), Bisquick, rice, pasta, oatmeal, breakfast cereal, cookies. Some things I keep in glass canning jars like sesame sticks, sunflower seeds, dates, raisins. Then I use Gladware or Ziploc containers for leftovers in the 'fridge. The pantry containers always have stuff in them as do the glass jars for the most part. The others I keep in a cabinet with two pull out drawers. Lids go into baskets and containers stacked next to basket.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
Cook

Candocook: Oh, I get you. I like to have a couple of spare, empty pieces of tupperware around the house, so I have one if I need it for lunches or a new product I've opened.

But, I find they're bulky and hard to store, especially as my kitchen is full of the homewares my sister buys then never uses.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

We get CAMBRO square containers at a restaurant supply store.

CAMBRO