Please Recommend a Roasting Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PianoAl

Cook
I want a nice solid roasting pan, stainless inside and out. It doesn't need to be longer than 15", because I never cook big turkeys. I'll be using it for 13 pound turkeys, and for ducks and chickens.

I don't want it to feel flimsy, and I'd like to spend less than $100.

Thanks!

My favorite roasting pan is an inexpensive graniteware one. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a decent pan. Can't recommend a ss one though since I've never used one. Someone here will be able to give you some advice.

Much like jabbur, we have a cheapo one I think I got at Sears for 19 loonies.
I just slice up a couple of onions about 1/2 to 3/4 thick and put them in the bottom for a base and put what ever meat I'm cooking on top. Never been disappointed.

OK, you've got me thinking about this. Does a covered roasting pan give you the same advantages that you'd get from cooking in a roasting bag? That is, is it self-basting and does it provide higher humidity?

Do you guys always have the lid on when roasting a bird?

Last edited:
I put the lid on to start then remove it for the end to crisp the skin. Never used the bags so can't compare.

The one I use is aluminum and belonged to my mother. She had it as far back as I can remember, and that's pretty far back!! LOL At least to the 50's. She cooked the turkey with the lid on, but I leave the lid off. I usually cover the legs with foil if they start to get too dark.

Mine doesn't have a lid, but foil does the job when I need it. It's a good heavy weight pan, with a solid rack. No idea what the brand is. It's not stainless, anodized aluminum I think, not non-stick so the drippings make good gravy. It's been a good pan for more than 10 years now, done a lot of turkeys and a couple of rib roasts.

I got the Cuisinart 7117-14RR Chef's 14-Inch Classic Lasagna Pan mentioned. It fit the bill, but it's not as solid as it looks in photos, and it warped the first time I used it. I'm going to hold onto it until I find a higher-quality pan at a garage sale.

I got the Cuisinart 7117-14RR Chef's 14-Inch Classic Lasagna Pan mentioned. It fit the bill, but it's not as solid as it looks in photos, and it warped the first time I used it. I'm going to hold onto it until I find a higher-quality pan at a garage sale.

I'd contact Cuisinart customer service and complain.

Generally speaking, you don't want really high sides on a roasting pan. If the roast or poultry sits down in the pan, the high sides will inhibit complete browning.

It was a while ago. I know I wasn't roasting a turkey, 'cause I don't like turkey. It might not have been a chicken. It might have been a couple of Cornish game hens. Yes, mine came with a rack, and yes, I used it.

That's why I have a rack for mine...holds that bird up!

Yep, mine too. Good for just about any kind of roast.

Mine looks like this:

images

Last edited:
A V-rack is wonderful, I've set it on top of the veg in the bottom of the pan to raise it up more. Usually if I am only using the veg for flavor, not eating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom