"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Old 04-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
Here is the real story

From Chef Gaku Homma of Domo Restaurant in Denver.
domorestaurant dot com/qanda.html

Q. Am I supposed to rub my chopsticks together before my meal?

A. Some think that rubbing your chopsticks together before a meal is a Japanese custom meant to remove splinters. In fact, rubbing chopsticks together can encourage more splinters than it actually takes off! This ritual originates from an early Charlie Chaplin movie that was popular in Japan before WWII. In this movie, Charlie Chaplin rubs his knife and fork together as a gesture of culinary anticipation. The Japanese people who were fans of the movie at the time, mimicked this action with their chopsticks. After WWII, American GIs returning from Japan brought this American born custom home again! In Japan today it is not a commonly practiced custom.

mikegeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #32
Senior Cook
The first time I used disposable chopsticks, I was told to rub them together, so it became habit. A habit which I have since dropped. I see people rubbing their disposable chopsticks together all the time. I think if you eat at an Asian restaurant they should just give you real chopsticks! =)

Let's Pour Tea!
Calya is offline   Reply With Quote