"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I have decided what I am going to do.

I found a source for white and gray veined marble at a real good price. Yes, I know it is soft and will stain, but remember I like the well worn vintage look.

I will store it until I save the money to have our local stoneworkers cut and install it.
Granite is also porous, but both of them can receive a coating of sealer which will keep them from showing stains. There is a 15 year sealer which the application contractor can apply, then there are sealers you can buy from Places like Home Depot and Lowes which must be reapplied annually. A cutting board is still recommended for ANY counter top to preserve the edges on your knives and to preserve the softer top materials.

I just saw a show on FoodTV last night where they used the white/gray/black marble for a kitchen designed by Alton Brown, and the island counter top was wood! If it's good enough for Alton....

Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #22
Head Chef

Yeah!

Having Joe's approval means i HAVE made the right choice!!!

Thanks Joe!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Yeah!

Having Joe's approval means i HAVE made the right choice!!!

Thanks Joe!
LL, you made a better choice, but I would still recommend granite over marble just because it's more durable. But the marble is a whole lot better than the slate, especially in the thickness you were describing. If you want to see how marble wears, go to the courthouse in an old city where they have marble steps, and see how worn they have become just from being walked on with soft soled shoes and boots.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #24
Head Chef

The courthouse here has the same issues -- smooth wearing.

But I love the look of marble and can't stand granite. I like the idea of it wearing and developing interesting patina.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #25
Head Chef

I would love to do a wall in my kitchen with that chalk board slate!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Sous Chef

LeoLady... I loved the slate idea... It would be tough to pull off though because you would need to make sure it was adequately supported which would have meant setting in mortar on a ply base or something which would get $$$ and then you would have to figure out what to do about the edges. I think the slate would make great backsplashes though.

I cant wait to start sourcing materials for my kitchen... it will be awhile though. I will definitely be going for some vintage accents.

I like the marble idea too.. most granite would clash with your aesthetic.

I would love to have my counters made of that solid black stone that HS science lab counters are made from.

Good luck... your kitchen will be awesome I am sure.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #27
Head Chef

Thank you PanchoHambre!

I am going to collect the materials as I find them, and store them until I have the money to do the renovation.

I am glad you agree that the marble would look best in my vintage kitchen remodel.

I am thinking that marble floor tiles to match would be a good backsplash behind the range.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I would love to have my counters made of that solid black stone that HS science lab counters are made from.
What a fabulous idea! Heck, I think one of those long lab tables would make a spectacular dining table!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #29
Cook

In one of my geology classes (my major) for some reason we got onto the subject of gravestones and countertops.. and my prof noted that on all of the expensive italian marble gravestones, it doesn't take long to wear off all of the engraved writing, but granite can last for a goood long time... just wanted to chime that in :) but hey, if you hate granite and don't mind that it wears down, it is WAY better than slate, so good choice! :-D DO post pictures, your kitchen will surely look beautiful with marble countertops :)
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #30
Cook

Oh and Leolady, forgot to mention, depending on your area you could check out a home salvage shop... can't remember exactly what they are called? Sort of like a reclaimed home goods store. There is one in western MA called Restore, they take old/vintage housewares (tubs, cabinets, chandeliers, you name it) and fix them up so that they are in good condition but still "vintage." you could check Restore out to get an idea of what you might find at one of those places and check out your area for one :)