Question about countertops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have decided what I am going to do.

I found a source for white and gray veined marble at a real good price. Yes, I know it is soft and will stain, but remember I like the well worn vintage look.

I will store it until I save the money to have our local stoneworkers cut and install it.

Granite is also porous, but both of them can receive a coating of sealer which will keep them from showing stains. There is a 15 year sealer which the application contractor can apply, then there are sealers you can buy from Places like Home Depot and Lowes which must be reapplied annually. A cutting board is still recommended for ANY counter top to preserve the edges on your knives and to preserve the softer top materials.

I just saw a show on FoodTV last night where they used the white/gray/black marble for a kitchen designed by Alton Brown, and the island counter top was wood! If it's good enough for Alton....

Yeah!

Having Joe's approval means i HAVE made the right choice!!!

Thanks Joe!

Yeah!

Having Joe's approval means i HAVE made the right choice!!!

Thanks Joe!

LL, you made a better choice, but I would still recommend granite over marble just because it's more durable. But the marble is a whole lot better than the slate, especially in the thickness you were describing. If you want to see how marble wears, go to the courthouse in an old city where they have marble steps, and see how worn they have become just from being walked on with soft soled shoes and boots.

The courthouse here has the same issues -- smooth wearing.

But I love the look of marble and can't stand granite. I like the idea of it wearing and developing interesting patina.

LeoLady... I loved the slate idea... It would be tough to pull off though because you would need to make sure it was adequately supported which would have meant setting in mortar on a ply base or something which would get $$$ and then you would have to figure out what to do about the edges. I think the slate would make great backsplashes though.

I cant wait to start sourcing materials for my kitchen... it will be awhile though. I will definitely be going for some vintage accents.

I like the marble idea too.. most granite would clash with your aesthetic.

I would love to have my counters made of that solid black stone that HS science lab counters are made from.

Good luck... your kitchen will be awesome I am sure.

Thank you PanchoHambre!

I am going to collect the materials as I find them, and store them until I have the money to do the renovation.

I am glad you agree that the marble would look best in my vintage kitchen remodel.

I am thinking that marble floor tiles to match would be a good backsplash behind the range.

In one of my geology classes (my major) for some reason we got onto the subject of gravestones and countertops.. and my prof noted that on all of the expensive italian marble gravestones, it doesn't take long to wear off all of the engraved writing, but granite can last for a goood long time... just wanted to chime that in :) but hey, if you hate granite and don't mind that it wears down, it is WAY better than slate, so good choice! :-D DO post pictures, your kitchen will surely look beautiful with marble countertops :)

Oh and Leolady, forgot to mention, depending on your area you could check out a home salvage shop... can't remember exactly what they are called? Sort of like a reclaimed home goods store. There is one in western MA called Restore, they take old/vintage housewares (tubs, cabinets, chandeliers, you name it) and fix them up so that they are in good condition but still "vintage." you could check Restore out to get an idea of what you might find at one of those places and check out your area for one :)

Oh and Leolady, forgot to mention, depending on your area you could check out a home salvage shop... can't remember exactly what they are called? Sort of like a reclaimed home goods store. There is one in western MA called Restore, they take old/vintage housewares (tubs, cabinets, chandeliers, you name it) and fix them up so that they are in good condition but still "vintage." you could check Restore out to get an idea of what you might find at one of those places and check out your area for one :)
Here they call them architectural antiques or architectural salvage. If you go to the ones in the scruffier parts of town, you can find some amazing deals. I have an old house so there are a few of these places I hit to find things like weights for old double hung windows, parts for radiators, etc. You might find some great old cabinet bases, LeoLady, for your marble counter tops.

I am going to re-use all of the old cabinets [they were top of the line in their day], so I won't need any more.

But I am going to replace the hollow core doors with paneled ones, so I will be looking for them. And I need flooring for the kitchen, breakfast area, living room, and hallway. I am thinking about using wood.

You can definitely find the old, panelled doors at an architectural salvage place. I've gotten several over the years. Plus the old door hardware, too. Again, if you go to the places in the rougher parts of town, the things haven't been cleaned up or re-finished yet so the prices are much better.

As coookies mentioned, Habitat For Humanity runs a place like this is most larger cities called ReStore. Ours has a huge assortment of doors that includes modern, hollow core, old solid wood, and commercial. If you have one near you, it's worth the trip. Be sure and take your measurements with you.

I have not given up yet!

I will find a better alternative! Thanks for all the advice folks!

Sometimes you can find old bowling alley. I would love to use it as a counter with the dots and all scattered about.

I would use the slate as long as you had substantial support underneath. Think of it as a large tile. You can have a 1/4" thick tile counter then why not a 1/4" slate one?

I definately would clean and seal it though. Good luck, post pics if you use it.

What a fabulous idea! Heck, I think one of those long lab tables would make a spectacular dining table!
yeah if I ever see one pop on craigslist I am totally snatching it!

Right now it is annoying because I see things that would work for me but I have nowhere to store them and I am months from demolishing the kitchen. I am hoping for it to be a spring/summer project. I have alot to get done before that. I am only doing a sort of rough temp kitchen at this time because my budget is non existent but I am hoping it can be sort of cool with found/reclaimed stuff. I am planning on alot of open shelving a) because I never can find anything and b) I have alot of awesome looking cookware (much of it vintage) so why not show it off.

my big debate is how exactly to use my "dining room" my kitchen is small and opens directly to this room and I would like it to function as sort of an extention of the kitchen as I dont have any use for a formal dining room, I am not sure how to furhish it.. It must incorporate this sort of hideous old victorian china cabinet that was my great grandparents beyond that I am not sure but it will need to take on some of my kitchen storage needs. I prettty much need everything to be multi function as my house is tiny. Cooking and eating is a big part of my life though and how I entertain.

Leolady.... I know they say you can do wood floors in the kitchen but personally I think it makes life too hard. I installed new solid maple through my whole house and it is taking a beating (I am hard on stuff) the kitchen is definitely going to get something more durable.

We had an oak kitchen floor in my house when I was a kid.

Wood would be was easy on my bad back. I can't think of anything else that would be durable, easy on my legs and back, and that would go with the rest of the house since the kitchen is open to it.

Oak will look great and it will take a patina of use well.. One thing I learned... make sure that any gaps are sealed up really well. The finishes are washable but if water seeps between the boards you will get nasty discoloration there. Anywhere my install was not quite perfect I have had some problems that were probably avoidable if the floor finisher dude had taken some extra steps.

I will take care! Thanks for the warning.

Whoo, you had me worried for a minute.

OK!

I know it is dangerous, but I had another idea! What about me using maple 1 1/2 inch thick butcher block countertops?

They are relatively inexpensive, and can be installed easily. I would not have to worry much about the sink and water because the sink has these drainboards.

img_759487_0_0dbb3b59574ca6e236d2f98675cf4a9b.jpg

And on either side of the range I could insert this tile pattern flush, so I could put hot pots on it.

img_759487_1_f80d75eb546dcca64a6db8a1efba4810.jpg

I could use the same pattern over the range as part of the existing solid yellow ceramic tile backsplash as well as on the old range space backsplash. I would surround the new tiles with more plain yellow tiles.

Would it be too much?

Back
Top Bottom