"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoVe
MUDBUG!!!!!! i love the wet/dry measuring cup. I use it daily.
I know I'm the oddball. Most people I know who have that thing love it, but I guess I'm just mechanically challenged.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to ZoVe
One time I went to borrow some flour from my neighbor friend and she said get that thing out of here. She didn't know how to use it lol. It's my fav. thing in the world

Old 04-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #33
Certified Executive Chef

I have one of their 'whack on the top' choppers for which I paid $30, like an idiot. What a rip off. They are so overpriced. I now see them for less than $10 and they are not that good. What you chop, sticks to those six blades and needs to be scraped off. I like my chef's knife much better. I would not buy any of their stuff again, they are horribly overpriced, IMHO.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

I don't understand why anyone would buy from Pampered Chef! For example, many of you mentionned that you liked the stoneware. Did you know that it used to be made in Illinois by a company called Sassafrass that sells to the public? Back then all the pizza stones had the word "superstone" stamped on the bottom.

Pampered Chef moved their production to China so that they could make more profits. Their costs went down but their retail prices went up.

Sassafrass sells their 15" Round Pizza Stone with a rack for only $15. Pampered Chef sells theirs for $25.50 + 4.75 extra for a rack.

Sassafrass sells their rectangle Pizza Stone with a rack for $17. Pampered Chef sells theirs for $25.25 + 3.75 extra for the rack.

Pie Plate: $18 Sassafrass $29.75 Pampered Chef
Baker for Chicken: $50 Sassafrass with Lid
$32(Baker) + $38.50(Lid) Pampered Chef

Check out the prices here:
http://www.sassafrasenterprises.com/

I don't work for Sassafrass!! I am just using this as an example. Everthing that PC sells can be found cheaper elsewhere. And in this case, you can actually buy the higher quality, American-made, original version cheaper than the PC knockoff from China.

The next time you are at a Pampered Chef party ask if they still sell the "Superstone" brand. Any consultant who has been with PC for a while will remember that name.

Just my opinions, but I do hope that you will save yourself some money.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:44 AM   #35
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would buy from Pampered Chef!
Whaddayamean? You know you have to pay extra for that slice of pre-fab pillsbury tube dough RING they all make at those parties...

But seriously - I bought my stone stuff before it was widely available and stayed away from the gimmicky stuff I knew was overpriced. After my pizza stone cracked (it was old), I bought a new one at Williams Sonoma. It gave DH and me a good excuse to browse the store (DH is a corporate chef).

I think Pampered Chef became the rage before a lot of really good cooking gear was available to all.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #36
Head Chef

Part of the fun of Pampered Chef though was getting together with the girls, eating, drinking, canoodle-ing and having a good time. The stuff we bought was just an excuse to get together.

I have a couple things, of course. But it's not the first place I'd look to when purchasing cookware or gadgets.

;)
Z
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #37
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCat
I don't understand why anyone would buy from Pampered Chef! For example, many of you mentionned that you liked the stoneware. Did you know that it used to be made in Illinois by a company called Sassafrass that sells to the public? Back then all the pizza stones had the word "superstone" stamped on the bottom.
. Their costs went down but their retail prices went up.

Sassafrass sells their 15" Round Pizza Stone with a rack for only $15. Pampered Chef sells theirs for $25.50 + 4.75 extra for a rack.

Sassafrass sells their rectangle Pizza Stone with a rack for $17. Pampered Chef sells theirs for $25.25 + 3.75 extra for the rack.

I purchased a 17" pizza stone, including the wooden paddle from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $9.99 less a 20% discound card.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #38
Master Chef

pampered chef

I have all the gadgets and the micro cookers and only one stone left. The stones are good because the bottom of your food won't burn. Whatever the top looks like, the bottome is the same. Very expensive name. you can get the off stuff now at walmart.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

I use their pizza stone, the 1 cup wet/dry measurer. I got stuck with their less than adequate cutlery...
Old 01-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Pampered Chef

I'm a new member, and must be in the minority. I love the pampered chef products. Although they are higher in price, I find their warranty to be superb, their quality to be much better than others' products, and the product features unique. I'm not a huge stone fan, but I had a cheaper pizza stone and a PC one, and the PC one is MUCH thicker! I finally gave my cheap one away and use my PC one all the time! Also, if you don't want to go to their party, don't go--you can still order if you want to w/o having to sit through the party. I've ordered for close to 20 years, and have gone to maybe 2-3 parties at most. My last comment is if you like their stuff and don't want to pay full price, host a catalog party and get it at a discount. All you have to do is hand out catalogs to friends and collect orders, and you still get host benefits without having to host a party in your home.