"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2018, 02:05 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Exactly.... I do that with everything from veggies to desserts..

Ross
I now have this mental image of a slice of unfrozen apple pie being vacuum sealed. I guess you would have to call it apple cobbler after that.

Do you remove the desserts from the sealed bag before you thaw them? How do you bring them "back to life" after being frozen?

CD

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I now have this mental image of a slice of unfrozen apple pie being vacuum sealed. I guess you would have to call it apple cobbler after that.

Do you remove the desserts from the sealed bag before you thaw them? How do you bring them "back to life" after being frozen?

CD
As stated, I freeze on a tray before vacuum sealing.. Picture frozen desserts from a store.. I do remove them from the sealed bag to thaw..

Ross

Old 01-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
As stated, I freeze on a tray before vacuum sealing.. Picture frozen desserts from a store.. I do remove them from the sealed bag to thaw..

Ross
Yes, I know. Your post just made me think about what would happen if you didn't freeze them first. Squish!

CD
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yes, I know. Your post just made me think about what would happen if you didn't freeze them first. Squish!

CD
I don't think its polite to be looking through my kitchen window when I do something stupid...

Ross
Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Wow! I didn't expect all of these replies. Thanks everyone. I've decide to go with the FoodSaver FM2100. I'll make sure to share my results with seasoning prior to freezing. Now that the FoodSaver is ordered I'm off to find some low/no sodium pasta sauce and bread recipes. Thanks again!
-D
Old 01-24-2018, 01:46 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
For me, I do not season prior to vacuum sealing our meats, don't really know why, I just don't.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:12 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by drath View Post
Wow! I didn't expect all of these replies. Thanks everyone. I've decide to go with the FoodSaver FM2100. I'll make sure to share my results with seasoning prior to freezing. Now that the FoodSaver is ordered I'm off to find some low/no sodium pasta sauce and bread recipes. Thanks again!
-D
The trick to low or no sodium sauce is to make your own. I don't add salt or sugar to my homemade sauce. I start with really good canned tomatoes -- I like San Marzano whole tomatoes in a can. I season with fresh herbs and spices. That's it.

I take meds for high BP, so I try not to use any more salt than needed to make a recipe work. I do use salt, but I do it by taste, and try to keep it moderate when I can.

If you season before vacuum sealing, I would not use any salt. I'd stick to peppers and herbs. I'd save the salt until you cook.

CD
Old 02-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

There is some controversy about seasoning before freezing. Some people think it adversely affects the flavors of food, that salt changes the texture of meat, and I don't know what else. However, I am a sous vider and I love the convenience of being able to throw seasoned frozen food straight into a sous vide pot rather than open it, season it, and re-seal it to cook, so I've gotten into the habit of seasoning pretty much everything before freezing. I love it so much I've started to do it with steaks for the grill, too.

I've found that you DO need less seasoning, at least for meat. This is especially true if you use a small amount of oil or liquid in the bag. The vacuum pulls the liquid throughout the bag and helps it really get into the meat to flavor it, not unlike a marinade. I use just a small sprinkling of salt, am slightly more liberal with other spices, and use about a teaspoon of olive oil when I freeze steaks. We do a reverse sear on the BGE and they are almost always spectacular.

I've been meaning to experiment with salted-before-freezing vs. salted-after-freezing to see if I can really detect a difference, but I haven't gotten around to it. (There hasn't really been a reason to, I guess.) If anybody has or knows of anybody who has, I'd be interested to hear the results.

BTW Darth, that's a nice sealer. I love love love my vacuum sealer! I haven't kept track of how much it's saved me over the years, but I know it's substantially more than what I paid for it. Have fun!

Tags
free, seasoning