"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Seasoning before Freezing (Vacuum Sealers)

Iím planning on buying a vacuum sealer soon. Iím just shopping for the right model at this point. Iíve seen a lot of articles discussing seasoning prior to vacuuming and freezing fresh meat. For those of you who do this, do you use the same amount of seasoning as you would normally? It seems to me that some of the seasoning would be absorbed into the meat, even while setting in the freezer and therefore you'd need to use a little less seasoning if you season prior to freezing. I hope this is true because Iíve recently been placed on a low sodium diet and Iím looking for a way to use less salt or salt-based seasonings and still get the same flavor.

Thanks

drath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Head Chef

My vac sealer has long been an important part of my kitchen.. I often season before vacuuming..

I have cut back on salt these past few years and am so used to doing so now that I no longer notice the missing salt.. The various herb and spice seasonings provide the desired flavor..

I do not change quantities.. To me, having the seasoning absorbed in to the meat is exactly what I want..

Ross

Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Freeze

Quote:
Effect of Freezing on Spices and Seasonings

• Pepper , cloves, garlic, green pepper, imitation vanilla and some herbs tend to get strong and bitter.
  • Onion and paprika change flavor during freezing.
  • Celery seasonings become stronger.
  • Curry develop a musty off-flavor.
  • Salt loses flavor and has the tendency to increase rancidity of any item containing fat.
  • When using seasonings and spices, season lightly before freezing, and add additional seasonings when reheating or serving.
I freeze onions all the time. I usually don't season things before I put them in the vac pack bag.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Fortunately, for me, I have not experienced an adverse reaction to seasoning before freezing...

Ross
Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I've worn out two Foodsavers, and am on my third. I use one that much. I season before vacuum sealing when I cook sous vide, but have not tried seasoning meats before freezing. I have thought about it, but have not tried it.

So, I'm glad the OP started this thread.

CD
Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I freeze onions all the time. I usually don't season things before I put them in the vac pack bag.
I vacuum seal and freeze surplus peppers from my garden. I freeze them on a tray first, so they are rock solid when I vacuum seal them. Otherwise, the vacuum sealer crushes the fresh-picked peppers.

CD
Old 01-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #7
Master Chef

The only time we froze something with spice/seasoning was out of necessity. We were curing hog jowl for Speck and had to seal and freeze it due to an approaching hurricane.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:48 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The only time we froze something with spice/seasoning was out of necessity. We were curing hog jowl for Speck and had to seal and freeze it due to an approaching hurricane.
Soooo, did it turn out okay? I understand why you did it, but what were the results?

CD
Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #9
Master Chef

Even with most of the cure rinsed off before freezing, it was really salty and had to be soaked several times. It came out fine and got smoked with alder chunks on the Egg.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I vacuum seal and freeze surplus peppers from my garden. I freeze them on a tray first, so they are rock solid when I vacuum seal them. Otherwise, the vacuum sealer crushes the fresh-picked peppers.

CD
Exactly.... I do that with everything from veggies to desserts..

Ross

Tags
free, seasoning