Second Hand Finds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ooooooooh, I love thrift stores and garage sales too! I have found countless cookbooks that I love!
One thing I search for at estate sales is the previous (usually deceased) owner's recipe file. That's the best!
I've also found matching pieces to my some of my Grandma's stuff she gave me.
Church rummage sales are also great for finding good kitchen things. I got an electric carving knife (still sealed in the box) for a couple dollars, and last weekend, for a quarter, I got an egg slicer that looks really old (but still clean as a whistle) and boy does it work! Much nicer than anything put out today.

My last deep fryer was a bargain, bought it at auction for $3000. It didn't have a manual so when I rang the agent to get one he knew the machine and said that if I got it for less than $45,000 I got a bargain.

I got another storage container carousel at a church sale yesterday for $2.

And an old metal rolling kitchen cart with outlet and a swivel desk chair for free!

At my favorite thrift shop, I got a pair of clear plastic store display candy holders with tongs on a chain for $1.

Jeez...it's raining food processors here. I just picked up a like brand new Cuis' dlc 8+. $9.95 + sales tax. Not a scuff or scratch on it. That's three dlc 8+, a dlc 7pro and two dlc 10+ in two months. Oh, and a like new KFP-750. The Cuis' were all less than $10 a pop. Found new homes for an 8+, both 10+ and the KFP-750. And I'm trying out my new-to-me American Harvest dehydrator right now. Got it full of organic Romas.

I haven't gone looking for stuff in a thrift store for over a year. We don't really have one close-by where we live now. Last year, I scored a LARGE coffee mug for 50 cents.

However, we have come by a bit of a windfall in the past week. Both of the houses next to us, one on either side, is in the process of being renovated. One was barely saved from foreclosure by the owner, and the other was bought, and will probably be resold after the remodelling is done. From the first house, the owner gave us a bunch of plates and glassware, along with some clothes and toys for the kids. The second house was really great. Although none of it was for the kitchen, the owner did give us a couch, love seat, and a chair, almost a full living room set, free-of-charge. The really nice thing is, since we only have a car right now, getting it here was easy, just pick it up and carry it about 100'. Those came in real handy, as the couches and one of the recliners pretty much bit the dust about 6 months ago.

10 years ago, I inherited a lot of my step-grandmother's kitchen. One tri-ply Revereware pan, a KA 5 qt mixer (which has since bit the dust), several other things, along with many cookbooks, one dating back to 1938, and several handwritten notebooks of her recipes.

I found 4 perfectly good, brand new, high quality T shirts the other day.
Tossed into a trash bin, I plucked them out. Two my size and 2 my wife's size.
Advertising some academic seminar or something. Great for work Tshirts!
Score!
(Nope, I ain't ashamed to admit that I am a dumpster diving trash picking guy!)

my best finds:

Pamperd Chef baking dish: 3.00 (great for deep dish pizza)
3 corning ware cornflower casserol dishes with lids 2.00 each
Acme Safe-t grater 50 cents
TV satelite dish and receiver 8:00

We actually spend a fair amount of time at thrift stores, last find I got was a bread machine for $9.99, works great. Before that it was an electric ice cream maker for $5, plus always finding used school uniforms there for $1 or $2 each which is great.

EDIT: And how can I forget the $39.99 Starbucks coffee grinder I got for $5 because they said it didn't work. I took a gamble, bought it, and had it running with the hour. Still using it today...

I haven't gone looking for stuff in a thrift store for over a year. We don't really have one close-by where we live now. Last year, I scored a LARGE coffee mug for 50 cents.

However, we have come by a bit of a windfall in the past week. Both of the houses next to us, one on either side, is in the process of being renovated. One was barely saved from foreclosure by the owner, and the other was bought, and will probably be resold after the remodelling is done. From the first house, the owner gave us a bunch of plates and glassware, along with some clothes and toys for the kids. The second house was really great. Although none of it was for the kitchen, the owner did give us a couch, love seat, and a chair, almost a full living room set, free-of-charge. The really nice thing is, since we only have a car right now, getting it here was easy, just pick it up and carry it about 100'. Those came in real handy, as the couches and one of the recliners pretty much bit the dust about 6 months ago.

10 years ago, I inherited a lot of my step-grandmother's kitchen. One tri-ply Revereware pan, a KA 5 qt mixer (which has since bit the dust), several other things, along with many cookbooks, one dating back to 1938, and several handwritten notebooks of her recipes.

Allen,
You're so lucky to have your step-grandmoms note book recipes. My great aunt was a fantastic home cook who sadly passed away years ago. I wish that I had been old enough at that time to try to get her recipes recorded before she passed on.
My best used finds have been found at our local church tag sales. A brand new electric skillet (in the box) $5.00, a new Mr. Coffee coffee maker for $7.00.

i got a Halloween costume for my son the other day, and a really nerdy bike helmet for DH.:LOL: Gotta make sure he's safe riding home from work! Oh, and DH found an unused computer joystick and I found an antique clock to put in my sitting room.

I guess copper cookware is just too expensive for me, but I never thought of getting a second hand one, is it healthy or safe to get a second hand cookware?

Anyway, I will be interested to get a good cheap second hand vitamix blender if it is available.

I use secondhand cookware and appliances all the time. Just clean and disinfect it before use.

I just bought a March 1947 era Hobart N-50 - KA model G body style mixer on Ebay for $99 plus shipping.

It should be much more powerful than the new KA mixers since it was made for commercial use!

I just bought a Christmas dress for my DD on ebay for $1.04 !! Worn once for a photo shoot!:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 6f88_1[1].jpg
    6f88_1[1].jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 266
I just love, love, love bargains.................in my kitchen food and dishes- wise I rarely buy at full price...........that's why I have outbursts in my local KZ grocery stores......I'll be pickled and stewed (well that's not really what I say---but that's far nicer)if I'll buy a plastic spray bottle for 8 dollars ???? I literally explode with indignation at some of the prices...........how do the locals live????????the local stuff isn't too bad........but anything imported forget it or anything plastic or furniture or accessories......clothes are not cheap..........and certainly not toys...........

I was on the road quite a bit today, and happened by three thrift store that are among my favorite haunts. Nothing interesting to me today, but I counted 10 bread machines between the three stores. All between $10-$15, with some of them looking like they've only been used once or twice. Great bargains if you're looking for a bread machine in Lake County Ohio.

JoeV

My best friend offered me her moulinex food processor before she sent it to one of the charities that picks up stuff. I said yes, because mine doesn't have a grater blade any more. So now mine is going to the same charity organization! It works other than the grater which I really need for my carrot cakes. The Moulinex is in great shape!

Not related to the kitchen or cooking, but a bargain just the same. At my local Goodwill store I bought a pair of linen Alfred Dunner slacks and a pair of linen-blend Sag Harbor slacks. One pair still had the original store tags on them. Paid $6 for both. That's only $1.50 per leg.:) Good for me because I have long legs.

I just picked up an OXO manoline food slicer at Goodwill yesterday for $3.99. It was new in the box with the blue tape still on the blade. It's not the V-type slicer but still it sells for over $60 on Amazon! I just love a great bargain!!

Back
Top Bottom