Second Hand Finds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LEFSElover collects butter dishes (amoung other things I think). Well, my vice is cake pans. I mean I have all my new professional ones that I use for my wedding and specialty cakes. But what I love to do is go to garage sales and thrift shops and find old fashioned one. My friend found for me on the weekend a wonderful cast iron gingerbread mould of an old church. I can't wait to clean it up and use it!!!

If we are talking weaknesses I have one for Melamine bowls and Joy of Cooking cookbooks. Everytime I see a copy of Joy I have to pick it up. That and Better and Homes and Gardens.

Hooray! Hooray! I was shopping in my area Goodwill and came upon a box of Christmas china (service for 4), new in box. Still had original store sticker on it. Beautiful dinnerware and came from a major department store.

Was looking for some to give one of our children for Christmas. Well, for $3.99, the set was mine. It's already wrapped and ready to go.

I'm a happy camper.

Books too many to count. A Bourgeat skillet--not technically used, but scratched and no longer worthy of hanging on the wall for show--at a sidewalk sale for $15; original price $430. My prize is the Wagner 12" frying pan with a beautiful 50 years seasoning for $1. Deep fryer and Bunn commercial coffee maker for nothing.

We were going to buy a new pellet stove, a very pricey item. Anyway we found a 2 year old wood stove with a cord and half of wood plus part of the steel chimney for $500.00. The stove new would have been $ 3.000. plus as I do mosaic work my car port has about 3tonnes of pool tile laying around that I got for $50.00, Built my own hearth am grouting it today. Now that was one heck of a bargain. I love thrift stores and rummage sales.

wow, Africhef........building your own hearth!! I've seen some beautiful ones overseas but none here per se.....if you get a chance please post a pic when you finish it......I love the eye appeal of them

well for awhile I had a handle on my addiction but I got the itch again the last few weeks:rolleyes:. Maybe it is the desire to cook more because of the cold, maybe it is that I once again have my kitchen project on the radar... I try to buy only things I will use but I am really running out of space. Recently I have acquired:

A set of 4 copper saucepans for $20 this was probably my most stupid purchase but I could not resist them. They are not the 'best' quality but they look really cool. I have not used them yet so I don't know how they will work out. I have SS and CI and Le Creuset so I figured I would round off the pot selection.

2 CI skillets for $2 a piece. Really don't need them because I have plenty but I just sort of enjoy restoring the darn things. I was trying to decide which one was better quality but at $4 total I just bought both. One it turns out is a real piece of Junk:mad:. It is marked only Made in USA. Once I got the rust and dirt off it is really poorly cast (very heavy though) I don't think it is that old and looks like It was never used/seasoned. I will try to season it and see how it comes but it is not nice.. maybe it will be good for camping/outdoor use of letting people borrow. The other which was really coated thick with carbon (so much so I thought it was paint but was not) I think will be a great skillet when I am done. It is unmarked except for the size (8) but it has a smooth finish inside like my Griswolds but is much heavier. I think this will end up being a favorite.

I picked up an Krups ice cream maker for $7 (my former roomate had one just like it it was cool to have around even if it did not get used alot)It the kind with the canister that you keep in the freezer so it is an annoying space hog.

A 50 year old Sunbeam mixmaster (edit) which is sort of frightening:ohmy: but really really cool..again could not resist it for about $6 Meat Grinder included it is quite beat up but works fine

and finally a never used Mandolin and a brand new microplane hand turned grater for $2 and $3:)

.... all of this because I needed a stupid crock pot to bring chili to the office chili cookoff. I bought one of those too but I think it will make me unhappy after reading up on them here I should have gotten an older one. The one I got is a fairly recent proctor-silex and I think a piece of junk but it will do the job of warming up the chili I am sure.

oooooooooo!

Post some photos! Especially of the mixer!

I am negotiating right now on the purchase of an old gas/wood burning cookstove! That's right...woodburning.

I don't NEED it, but I kinda like the idea of using it to warm the sunporch in the winter, or use the gas to keep the kitchen cool in the summer.

Am I nuts?

Last edited:
I will... my digital camera seems to be missing though... my phone takes dreadful pics. The mixer is a beast! I posed a discription it in the appliances forum but I don't have any pics yet. I have used it so far to grind meat, make a cake and whip potatoes all successfully.... oh and I edited it it is not KA its a Sunbeam MixMaster sorry

Here you go LeoLady.... I got a new camera....

I told you she aint pretty though

img_759561_0_1d041b39cb0aee1b26ff36f2d3fdac20.jpg

img_759561_1_6007b506379a5322a55253b28eb1fd8d.jpg

My Mother had one of those old mixers. It sure got a lot of use feeding 5 boys!

It looks like my mom's old mixer. She sure made a lot of cookies and stuff with it!

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/choclatechef/KITCHENWARE/ENAMELED%20CAST%20

:innocent:I picked up a few things on Ebay this week.

Double decker pastry/breadbox
img_789342_0_faedbd12ca6e37725f6c8230104eaf50.jpg

Drip Coffee maker
img_789342_1_5847a45d7d41cc427a73bd75b5c73780.jpg

Rival Vac-O-Mat wall can opener
img_789342_2_648d2e8b867bfbced563ab54950fb537.jpg

Coffee pot - which I will use as a tea kettle
img_789342_3_4c1dafc4d3761385483a306aa8e541bb.jpg

Drip Coffee maker - which I will use to strain, store, and pour bacon drippings
img_789342_4_f9f73636ea9e2eda14ba07e6c385b59e.jpg

The devil made me do it......:rolleyes:

Second hand finds. I went to one yard sale today. Bought something I can't use because it was a good deal. A great deal. An as new #12 hub Alfa pelican head with a 3/16" shredder disk. As new. Way too big for my N50, with its dinky #10 hub. This is for big mixers. But hey...$17.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom