"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #61
Master Chef

who doesn't love a great bargain........congratulations........:):)

Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #62
Certified Cake Maniac

LEFSElover collects butter dishes (amoung other things I think). Well, my vice is cake pans. I mean I have all my new professional ones that I use for my wedding and specialty cakes. But what I love to do is go to garage sales and thrift shops and find old fashioned one. My friend found for me on the weekend a wonderful cast iron gingerbread mould of an old church. I can't wait to clean it up and use it!!!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #63
Cook

If we are talking weaknesses I have one for Melamine bowls and Joy of Cooking cookbooks. Everytime I see a copy of Joy I have to pick it up. That and Better and Homes and Gardens.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hooray! Hooray! I was shopping in my area Goodwill and came upon a box of Christmas china (service for 4), new in box. Still had original store sticker on it. Beautiful dinnerware and came from a major department store.

Was looking for some to give one of our children for Christmas. Well, for $3.99, the set was mine. It's already wrapped and ready to go.

I'm a happy camper.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #65
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, Katie, that IS a great find!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 AM   #66
Assistant Cook

fantastic stuff!!! it's like having your personal assistant, thanks for those!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #67
Head Chef

Books too many to count. A Bourgeat skillet--not technically used, but scratched and no longer worthy of hanging on the wall for show--at a sidewalk sale for $15; original price $430. My prize is the Wagner 12" frying pan with a beautiful 50 years seasoning for $1. Deep fryer and Bunn commercial coffee maker for nothing.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #68
Sous Chef

We were going to buy a new pellet stove, a very pricey item. Anyway we found a 2 year old wood stove with a cord and half of wood plus part of the steel chimney for $500.00. The stove new would have been $ 3.000. plus as I do mosaic work my car port has about 3tonnes of pool tile laying around that I got for $50.00, Built my own hearth am grouting it today. Now that was one heck of a bargain. I love thrift stores and rummage sales.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #69
Master Chef

wow, Africhef........building your own hearth!! I've seen some beautiful ones overseas but none here per se.....if you get a chance please post a pic when you finish it......I love the eye appeal of them
Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #70
Sous Chef

well for awhile I had a handle on my addiction but I got the itch again the last few weeks. Maybe it is the desire to cook more because of the cold, maybe it is that I once again have my kitchen project on the radar... I try to buy only things I will use but I am really running out of space. Recently I have acquired:

A set of 4 copper saucepans for $20 this was probably my most stupid purchase but I could not resist them. They are not the 'best' quality but they look really cool. I have not used them yet so I don't know how they will work out. I have SS and CI and Le Creuset so I figured I would round off the pot selection.

2 CI skillets for $2 a piece. Really don't need them because I have plenty but I just sort of enjoy restoring the darn things. I was trying to decide which one was better quality but at $4 total I just bought both. One it turns out is a real piece of Junk. It is marked only Made in USA. Once I got the rust and dirt off it is really poorly cast (very heavy though) I don't think it is that old and looks like It was never used/seasoned. I will try to season it and see how it comes but it is not nice.. maybe it will be good for camping/outdoor use of letting people borrow. The other which was really coated thick with carbon (so much so I thought it was paint but was not) I think will be a great skillet when I am done. It is unmarked except for the size (8) but it has a smooth finish inside like my Griswolds but is much heavier. I think this will end up being a favorite.

I picked up an Krups ice cream maker for $7 (my former roomate had one just like it it was cool to have around even if it did not get used alot)It the kind with the canister that you keep in the freezer so it is an annoying space hog.

A 50 year old Sunbeam mixmaster (edit) which is sort of frightening but really really cool..again could not resist it for about $6 Meat Grinder included it is quite beat up but works fine

and finally a never used Mandolin and a brand new microplane hand turned grater for $2 and $3

.... all of this because I needed a stupid crock pot to bring chili to the office chili cookoff. I bought one of those too but I think it will make me unhappy after reading up on them here I should have gotten an older one. The one I got is a fairly recent proctor-silex and I think a piece of junk but it will do the job of warming up the chili I am sure.